Neck Attachment

My question is why would you WANT to buy a neck meant to be bolted on... and glue it on? I'd just go to www.soulmateguitars.com and have him make you a glue-in neck for your body. OR, I know people around here don't like Ed Roman, but he's got ALOT of set-neck options ranging from PRS ones, to Roman ones.

Chris

Another thing is the bolt on neck pocket is much too sloppy (not a snug fit) to make an adequate glue in job. Personally I don't see how you could make it look proper either with that gap all around the heel on the top side. You certainly can shape the heel and body to look like it was made that way, but there's more to it than that.

One important thing about a set neck is the neck pocket should be very snug. Less glue between the neck and body the better it will sound. :D

-Doug

Well, I liked all the options Warmoth gives you but they're missing one crucial choice which is obviously a set neck/bolt-on option. Unless I'm missing something but I've searched high and low around that site and found nothing. However, soulmateguitars.com did look quite interesting. Also, what's anyone got against Ed Roman?

Edited by Dust N' Bones

I dunno about the whole building fake ones and passing them off as original thing... but he DOES heavily MOD a lot of guitars and attempts to sell them. If he was building guitars and selling them under say the "Gibson" name, I'm sure he would have been sued by now. HOWEVER I DO see. like I said, him retopping things alot, and he does have a suspiciously high quantity of 5A Diamond super flame quilt mojo (the point i'm trying to make is they're REALLY figured tops) tops, especially when Gibson makes VERY few nice tops (IMO). But yeah, check these links out for necks to use from him if you wanna deal with him being a dick (and he IS a dick, I'll agree to that... like if you EVER talk to him on the phone (which I have) you'll see what I mean).

PRS replacement parts, including necks

As for his total rebiuld and still trying to pull it off as a company guitar tactic, here's a display of it. In this case the ONLY thing left original is between the nut and the last fret... to me it's no longer a PRS...

The "Not Quite PRS Anymore" PRS

Chris

PS: But I'd say go for the soulmate neck, looks MUCH better, and probably MUCH cheaper than you're going to give ED for a PRS neck, or one of his "PRS style neck with "slightly bigger headstock for legal reasons"

Another thing is the bolt on neck pocket is much too sloppy (not a snug fit)

-Doug

Sorry, but when I build a bolt on, the neck doesn't come right off when I take the bolts off. A good bolt on neck should have a snug fit. If it doesn't, the neck pocket to neck heel joint wans't matched properly.

Now that doesn't say that gluing in it is a good idea. I think think that wood on wood is better than having glue in there.

Another thing is the bolt on neck pocket is much too sloppy (not a snug fit)

-Doug

Sorry, but when I build a bolt on, the neck doesn't come right off when I take the bolts off. A good bolt on neck should have a snug fit. If it doesn't, the neck pocket to neck heel joint wans't matched properly.

Now that doesn't say that gluing in it is a good idea. I think think that wood on wood is better than having glue in there.

Every guitar a customer has brought me thus far with a bolt on neck, the pocket has been far looser than a properly constructed set neck. There are a couple good reasons: One, the neck pocket is bigger to allow for finish thickness on the sides of the neck heel and the walls of the pocket. Second the neck was not made for that specific guitar.

I have seen this over and over with Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, and numerous others. An American Telecaster I have in the shop right now has 1/8" thick polyester in the neck pocket!

Rule of thumb: If you can shift the neck left to right while it's in the neck pocket, then the pocket is too wide.

I'm in no way implying that Warmoth builds a substandard product. As a matter of fact they are very nice. I am certain that they would leave a neck pocket with enough space to allow the customer to apply finish to the neck and still have it fit.

-Doug

Every guitar a customer has brought me thus far with a bolt on neck, the pocket has been far looser than a properly constructed set neck. There are a couple good reasons: One, the neck pocket is bigger to allow for finish thickness on the sides of the neck heel and the walls of the pocket. Second the neck was not made for that specific guitar.

I have seen this over and over with Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, and numerous others. An American Telecaster I have in the shop right now has 1/8" thick polyester in the neck pocket!

Rule of thumb: If you can shift the neck left to right while it's in the neck pocket, then  the pocket is too wide.

I'm in no way implying that Warmoth builds a substandard product. As a matter of fact they are very nice. I am certain that they would leave a neck pocket with enough space to allow the customer to apply finish to the neck and still have it fit.

-Doug

I wasn't talking about mass produced guitars... although I found that Godin guitars have amazing fit and finish.

I was trying to say that a well built bolt on should have a snug fit in the neck pocket. Additionnally, there should be NO finish in the neck pocket or on the neck where it makes contact with the guitar body. That's why I always tung oil my necks.

A good set neck should be the same - snug fit - The only difference is that one is held by glue between the body and neck, while the other is wood on wood with bolts.

People tend to think that set necks are superior - In my opinion, that is not the case. They're different designs that each have their merits. The only advantage I see with a set neck is upper register access, although with the Ibanez all access neck joint (AANJ), bolt ons have made a huge leap forward.

USA Custom guitars necks and neck pockets fit like OJ's glove (i.e. tight). They are perfect. I have two USA Custom guitars "strats", both alder bodied with maple necks (one has a rosewood fretboard).

Tommy (the owner of USA Customer Guitars) can also make the pockets tighter if you ask him to. He offered me this on my first guitar when he heard I was going to Tung Oil it (I turned him down, because I ended up going with minwax wipe on poly for the neck). I could pick the body up with the neck slid into place (not bolted).

Not sure if my pics are close enough to give you any real detail, but you can see my first USA CG strat at USA CG Strat project.

My site is a little slow, but I've got some pictures of the finished guitar and one of the body in process and one of the neck fresh out of the box.

Edit: I hesitate to show this directly here, because I don't want to be made fun of for my (lack of) finishing skills and my dumb use of three nails tapped into where the pickguard would be, but here's a good picture that shows you the snugness of the pocket:

no_guts_large.jpg

And please, no crap about the decal, I actually use several Fender products on the guitar, although its not a Fender strat, and I haven't used decals at all on my other guitars. You'll note the Earvana OEM nut and a couple of tuners slightly askew (first time doing Sperzels). The fingerboard edges are worn-in a bit (I can't remember what Fender calls this, but Tommy added it to my neck at no extra charge).