Idea

So I know the 6-inline sperzels come with graduated post heights to eliminate the need for string trees on necks without an angled headstock. If used on a neck with an angled headstock would it make sense to put the tuner with the shortest post closest to the nut to eliminate unecessary tension on the strings?

I put some on a Jackson neck not too long ago, and thought about the same thing you are thinking about, and I think that idea went out the window when I reallized that the tuner with the shortest post is designed for a thin un-wound string. Perhaps using a thick wound string might press the string against the bottom of the post or some kind of problem like that. But, if you can get it to work, I guess it would be fine. Probably not any real advantage to doing it that way, though.

soapbarstrat, I understand your thinking, but from I can tell, all the parts are identical except for the height of the posts. On the 3x3 tuners, they are not marked for high E vs. low E, from what I understand. Couldn't hurt to email or call Sperzel to make sure though.

The bottom line is... no matter what you do with the strings past the nut, the string will be at a constant tension at a certain pitch - or it wouldn't be at that pitch. All you'll change past the nut is how much downforce you'll get on the nut itself, and with a tilt-back headstock there'll be plenty of downforce no matter what you do (and you're not going to make there be too much by placing shorter posts anywhere).

I believe soapbarstrat is right because when installing them I had them backwards as you wanted to try and I got most of them strung up no problem but the thicker wound strings just won't fit, at least the last one or two, if you don't use the washers on the last two they would fit but that would possibly damage your headstock. The shortest graduated posts do not leave enough room for the thicker strings so that somewhat forces you to use them the normal way plus as jnewman said it doesn't really change anything, the difference in height is minimal so it won't matter either way. ANyways thats just what I noticed when I got them, they all have the same sized hole but the lower ones have the holes so low that you can't fit the thicker wound strings through them. J

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I thought the 3 per side versions are not staggered height, so in other words, it's quite possible to get a set of Sperzels with the posts all the same height. Maybe the 6 in-line ones Carvin uses are non-staggered. As far as buying a 3 per side set and using them for 6 per side, you would need to take 3 apart and convert them to work on the other side of the neck (any Sperzel tuner can be made to work on either side of the neck, by "rebuilding it"). But, make sure you don't have the bigger knobs that the 3 per sides usually, if not always, have.

Contact 'Specialty Guitars' to really find out.

I'm just saying this in case you really prefer not to have sperzels with staggered heights. The ones I put on the Jackson neck are the newer "sound lock" sperzels.

So would I have any problems if I took a graduated height 6-inline set and converted 3 of them to use on a 3x3 headstock since you get 2 of each post height?

I can't think of any reason why that won't work, because you can have a set of 6 in line sperzels for a right-handed neck, and take them apart, and convert them to be tuners for a left handed neck. I don't mean just put the tuner on the other side of the neck, you actually *take apart the tuner* and switch the parts around to make it into a real left-handed tuner. Sperzels are made this way. You can take the knobs off, you can take the worm gear out, and the shaft/gear piece, and then rebuild them as either a right or left tuner, depending on which direction you put the worm gear piece back into the main "base piece". It's the main thing I like about them. Also that the gear and post are one piece of metal, not a gear held onto the post with a screw, like most, if not all, other tuners.

So would I have any problems if I took a graduated height 6-inline set and converted 3 of them to use on a 3x3 headstock since you get 2 of each post height?

If you have an angled headstock you don't need the graduated height. But to answer your question, probably not.

I know I don't need the graduated height with an angled neck but I already have set of sperzels that I was originally going to use on a strat. And I'm getting a neck from warmoth and am deciding on the explorer or warmoth style headstock (going w/ those because of where the truss rod adjust is)