My guitar sounds like crap!

sjaguar13

I could make a whitty comment that would tick off alot of people here, but I won't.

I think the thing to do if you hate you sound it to try new pickups. I don't know about humbuckers because I've never had a guitar with them.

I've just wired up my self built guitar (with EMG's) and compared it to my Ibanez RG550 with stock pickups. Huge difference. The EMG's are much clearer sounding and have a real mean growl. I'm sure EMG's are not the only pickup that would sound better than my RG550's but the thing to note is that the pickups themselves make a very big difference in the sound.

I have been searching for a good thick and full of harmonic type of distortion for a very long time. I have tried just about every pedal / effect unit available. Nothing sounded good. After plugging in my new guitar to the very same amp (no distortion pedal) I have been using, the sound I have been searching for was there!

I'm considering trying Duncan's in my RG550 soon. I love my EMG's but I would also like to try out a Duncan.

If you're willing to try new pickups, I would bet that this will help.

the invader is good but noisy and not very articulate.i also don't know if it is available in 7 string version.but anyways stock ibanez pickups are not very pleasing to many people.they have no bottom end and they tend to sound weak in my opinion.i change out pickups on every guitar i buy and i have for years.dimarzio is a good choice but for passive pickups it's hard to beat the full,rich sound of a duncan.they should have something for you.but the emg 707 is pretty killer.but you are right it is larger and you would have to route.they should really do something about that.

the distortion really doesn't have a great clean tone.the jb does though.thejb is good at bridge and of the ones you mention the custom is the best(in my opinion) at neck.but the invader is really not very good clean.

the invader is the highest output but i am not crazy about it.it sounds decent on a basswood guitar but it shrieks with alder.just too much noise

on my ibanez gsa20 i changed the bridge pickup to a duncan custom custom, (ya i didnt type that 2 times on accident) and it is a huge improvement. A lot less muddy, way fuller sound, and it can drive an amp pretty easily too. Before I bought it I was actually considering the SH-6 distortion but then I found the section of the duncan website where you can hear a lot of different samples of the pickups - pickup sound samples - and it helped my decision.

the jb definately.it has more of a midrange response which will make up for the body which is probably basswood.it has good bottom end and great articulation which is great for metal plus a well balanced rounded tone for the neo-classical.plus it is made to work well with high gain.has good lead tone also.

the only way i would reccomend the distortion pickup is if it was a mahogany or alder body and you were primarily metal rythm.other than that the jb is the better pickup in my opinion.

those pickups are o.k. but he said metal and i had a tone zone for years and it was very mushy on the bottom end.dimarzio has some suitable pickups but i stick by my reccomendations.i,ve been searching for the perfect metal sound for years and have tried many pickups.surprisingly enough the gibson bridge humbuckers are some of the best passive pickups i have ever played.unfortunately the choice is limited for 7 string. :D