Design Idea

i dont like it, it reminds me of a tiesco or harmony, i think you should either shrink the cutaway or make the top a little bigger, it just looks unbalanced also i think the headstock needs to be re shaped, i think it looks too much like the paddle headstocks that come on DIY necks. all my opinion, you like what you like.

Is this a pipe dream like all of the other posts asking if we like the design, or are you actually going to build this? I see nothing wrong with your design. If it's what you want, go for it. Quite frankly, I think the majority of us are tired of seeing more plans than actual builds. 1 side note though, I think you might want to reconsider your headstock; it seems a bit out of place.

peace,

russ

Dude, chill, I just looked back at his posts and see 3 designs, one of which he is standing there with a template of or something. If you're sick of seeing designs instead of actual builds stop looking.

As for the guitar, I'm not crazy about it, I don't think the headstock really suits the body shape, and I would move the lower horn back or make the upper curve bigger, I don't really care for guitars where the lower horn sticks out further than the upper section. Just my opinion though :D

A practical note: losing that upper horn is going to change the way the guitar balances --might end up making it neck heavy (you might have to put the strap peg behind the neck.

In terms of the design --looks a lot like a cross between a strat (treble half) and an Epiphone Olympic (Coronet, etc).

Personally, I'd shift it more toward the Epiphone side, I think they're really nice looking guitars.

But this one gets a couple extra points from because of the pickguard :D

Garenhanman --It's really difficult coming up with an original design...seems like most of the good ones have been taken already...so most of these designs we see end up being just slight modifications of existing designs, for better or worse.

The way I see it though, even if most of these guitars never get built, they give us an opportunity to look at "the guitar" in a different way --in terms of aesthetics, in terms of function, etc.

By examining what's wrong or what's right about a design, we can avoid or develop these things in our own designs.

Looking at art almost always inspires me to do art.

Finally, I point you to my latest sig ---> :D

I kinda like it. I skew retro, so, the absence of pointy bits and the pickguards appeal to me. Ditto comments about the headstock and the lower horn. Keeping with retro, maybe go 3X3 with something along the lines of the Danelectro coke bottle or a National Resolectric... symmetric, maybe a little bland, but different.

Trim the horn back, to somewhere between Strat and Les Paul. String through is cool, but, to my eyes the V pattern only works on the old Flying V's that had that V-shaped bridge plate. The toggle looks way too high. Since I'm stuck in the way-back-machine, I'd stick with metal covers on the HBs and go with traditional bursts or solid colors.

Personally, if I were to make a guitar likr this, I'd use a headstock with a smoother profile to match the body's design. I really like the body though. With the reversed headstock and the modified body, I keep looking at it thinking it's a lefty modified to fit a right-handed player.

I'd like to see the finished product

Edited by SamIAmUBUF

I actually like it pretty much. It looks different, but still has comfortable looking lines and flows pretty well I think. If you guys had read the specs included with the picture, you may have read "ESP reversed headstock (looking for shapes.)" Emphasis on "looking for shapes." That's intended to look like just a paddle headstock that's on diy necks. The only gripes I would have with it are the toggle switch seems a bit high, towards the end of the body, and the "V" pattern of the string ferrules behind the Bridge. And what type of neck to body joint were you thinking of using on that? It seems like there's not much room for enough bolts. Anyway, besides those things, I think it looks good and it would be buildable if you wanted to do it.

Galen.

I like the design. I would personally shorten the lower horn ALOT (as in make it even with the upper bout, or shorter). That would give it a nice look. Or you could shorten it a little, and make the upper bout SLIGHTLY bigger - not too much or it might look too big. Also, I would go with a more Fender-esque headstock, reverse or otherwise.