I Finally Did It!

I finally put the strings on my first from scratch build today and it feels fantastic!!

It's an oak body with birdseye maple top, 3-piece rock maple neck and rosewood fingerboard.

The crappy part is that now I want to jump right into my second build since there are so many things I know to do differently now...oh well.

Here's some pics anyway (my apologies if these don't post properly):

guitar1.jpg

Pic2

Pic3

Pic4

Pic5

Pic6

Enjoy!! :D

hey..great job! very nice looking project..i kept thinking that the pickups were getting their color from a reflection of something but they're really blue aren't they? what kind are they?

wow, that looks really good!

Any pics of the back? did you use the same finish on the oak as you did the maple?

Curtis

I did use the same finish (2 part Epoxy for grain fill/sealer, then a very thin coat of amber shellac under 3 coats of Minwax poly all brushed on with very wide foam brushes to avoid brush lines)

Here it is:

guitarback2.jpg

Closer Shot

G :D:D

Looks like a very high quality build, but I don't like that body shape.  The narrowest parts look disconnected from the rest, because they don't flow very smoothly.

I was waiting for someone to say that. The truth is that I'm not at all happy with the shape either. I made a full-size model out of cardboard and it seemed okay, but once I saw it in 3D I could tell it was too "dumpy". Oh well, back to the drawing board... :D

Arseneau, don't feel bad. You finished your first guitar! You won't make the same mistakes twice (hopefully) and each instrument will be better than your last! You've done what probably a majority of the readers/posters here have never accomplished. Good job and keep at it!

I like it. It's a strange but strangely pleasing combo of metal, classy, and quirky. I'm not too fond of the shape as it stands, but I think that, with some tweaking, it could work out to be a rather nice guitar.

Oak isn't too common a tonewood, and you don't tend to see birdseye as a top too often. Actually, I really like the birdseye. As long as the oak sounds good, it's fine--it certainly looks good!

Anyway, I hope you're more pleased with your second build, but this one is deffo nothing to be ashamed of. I assume you're doing a second build, correct?

I assume you're doing a second build, correct?

Yes. I've actually already started building (well, designing and collecting parts) a 5 string bass for a family member. Since the body shape is the area that I most feel the need to "get right" this time around, I thought I'd post the current state of the design to see what you guys think.

BassDesign1.jpg

I've really been struggling with it and this is the point I have reached as of the end of my design session today. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

G

P.s.--I must have been standing at a slight angle when I took the photo--the neck is not off-center)