Bass #2

here is my second bass build, its a Zebrawood five string made in the style of a Warwick thumb neckthrough (but a little different :D ), i was able to get two neckblanks from my last project so i put the spare one to good use. its a nine laminate of maple, purpleheart, african paduak and walnut. The fingerboard is bloodwood (my favorite) ill post more pictures as i continue

bass2010pb.jpg

Edited by scottyd

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool. I've always loved the way Warwick did their thru-necks, and I think you've put a cool new spin on the idea. Other than the neck dive on the 5+ string models, I love the Thumb bass more than most. Are you going with the baseball bat neck aswell (my favorite Warwick feature)?

Also, what tools did you use to do the back contour?

Very cool. I've always loved the way Warwick did their thru-necks, and I think you've put a cool new spin on the idea. Other than the neck dive on the 5+ string models, I love the Thumb bass more than most. Are you going with the baseball bat neck aswell (my favorite Warwick feature)?

Also, what tools did you use to do the back contour?

im going for an ibanez type neck, i like the way they feel better. for the body contour i set the neck in at 3/8" thinner than the body wood, then i just sanded the body down to meet that, and contoured the top to match.

how was the neck making in general as far as planning for stiffness and what not?

well i know i like a thin neck so my main plan was to have something stiff so i used a lot of purpleheart and maple. the other half of the neck blank i used for another bass and i added two steel rods along with a single truss and found that under full tune the neck never even bowed. so with this one i just used a single truss to allow a little more bow. well see how it turns out :D

I'm really diggin that body sweep, looks cool and comfy. The neck laminates kind of remind me of a candy wrapper for some reason... not a bad thing, but certainly like nothing I've seen before.

Very interested to see this one go the distance!

Nate Robinson :D

I'm really diggin that body sweep, looks cool and comfy.  The neck laminates kind of remind me of a candy wrapper for some reason... not a bad thing, but certainly like nothing I've seen before.

Very interested to see this one go the distance!

Nate Robinson :D

yeah wait till the necks finished itll look like a multicolored candy cane :D

Yeah, that scoop in the back of the body is a really cool feature of the Thumb, yours is well done. I also like how you stopped the neck just short at the tail-end so that the zebrawood caps it. Good solid neck construction too.

Electronics? Bridge?

Can't wait to see this bad boy finished up, great work so far.

• 4 weeks later...

ok its been a little while but i got the bass near completed. I put the first 6 coats of urethane on it today (no pics yet still drying) and i will wet sand it out 2morrow to prepare it for 6 more coats monday here are some pics

after fingerboard/fibre optic install and pickup routing notice the fiberoptics running through the neck pup hole! i damped it with a wet rag

bass2030.jpg

Edited by scottyd

heres a shot of it during mockup it plays nice, it has good sustain and awesome tone, it is a little neck heavy but i expected that (the short horns) and i am working on a solution to that. the bridge is a hipshot (which i had to inlay a bit) and the pickups are mightymites actives, the tuners are grover. i will cut a nut out of bubinga once paint is done

bass2035.jpg

here is  a shot of the ergonomics, this is what sets the warwicks apart from most other bass'  ive done most of this by hand its still not where i want it but you get the idea.

]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/scottyd/bass2025.jpg

Umm, your body is warped.... sorry to say buddy....

:D:D

That looks awesome Scotty

Curtis

Umm, your body is warped.... sorry to say buddy....

Umm, your wrong....sorry to say buddy..... :D

He did that on purpose. It's like a belly carve kind of thing.

See:

here is a shot of the ergonomics, this is what sets the warwicks apart from most other bass' ive done most of this by hand its still not where i want it but you get the idea.
Edited by thegarehanman