What Do You Think

GuitarMan686

The links don't work properly. Though, if it's home depot, are they Ryobi tools? Some don't think those are very good at all.

harborfreight.com has some good tools at cheap prices. You have to ask around about their tools, some are great some are far from even good. I have a harbor freight 6" planer and a benchtop mortiser. The planer works great, no complaints at all. The mortiser isn't as accurate as I'd like, but for what I paid(maybe $100, maybe a bit more), it works well.

peace,

russ

Yeah both the band saw and drill press are made by Ryobi. I think for the price they would be pretty cheap. For some reason I cant get the site to link it through.

Either way both tools are $100 each

I've owned both.

The drill press isn't too bad, especially for the money. I still use mine after nearly 5 years although I am considering upgrading to a floor model just for size reasons. I have no qualms with the Ryobi's runout, power, adjustments, etc. And it fell out of the back of my truck while I was moving and suffered no damage, so IMHO it's pretty reliable. :D

Run as fast as you can from that bandsaw. Mine excelled at cutting curves, but not the curves I wanted to cut. Followed a line like someone twice the legal limit. Different blades didn't improve it much. I never realized how bad that bandsaw was until I got a good one.

Hope this helps!

If you were looking at the Ryobi 9", go for the Delta 9" instead (I believe HD carries that as well).

I also need a good work bench any suggestions?

I'd say make one. I took an old desk a gutted it to a frame, then fitted shelves and a top with a deep overhang to it. The top is a 2'x4' piece of melamine board that I can easily replace when it gets to worn.

This thread talks about tools:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=19631

Edited by M_A_T_T

• 2 weeks later...
If a tool can withstand the hit of falling out of a truck it must be pretty good.

I've also been looking at Grizzly's and Craftsman tools. I also need a good work bench any suggestions? Thank You guys you are the best! :D

Ive heard some pretty bad wraps about the Smaller Grizzly tools ie - their bench drill press

havent heard much about craftsman

ill second the opinion about getting the delta 9in bandsaw and i would say go for the 10in delta drill press aswell

work bench id make my own as M_A_T_T said.

Edited by ZoSo_Spencer

Looking into buying my tools fairly soon and trying to keep costs down as much as possible. Searching around and found two tools. Give me some info of what you think. Thanks in advance!!

If you haven't made the purchase already, consider looking at local classifieds. Like you, I'm trying to get decent tools at a good price and I'm leary of some reports I'm reading on new "affordable" equipment. I've been lurking on my local craigslist.com and scored a 14" bandsaw for $125 two weeks ago. On Saturday I picked up a 6 1/8" Craftsman jointer with stand in excellent condition for $125 - 1969 vintage, all cast iron, US made and as solid as they get. I can still get parts for that sucker from Sears.

I couldn't see the drill press on that link, but keep in mind that smaller drill presses can't reach deep into a guitar body. If you want to drill for string ferrules or bridge studs, the smaller drill presses can't cut it.

Looking in your local classified adds is sooooo smart. You would be amazed at some of the great tools people are selling. I would highly recommend a 14" band saw that is capable of accepting a riser block kit. As for a drill press. A floor model is really handy, but the clearance is really important. I have a floor model with 16"+ clearance and it really opens up its uses. I did have a 12" model for a while, but I dumped it at my garage sale last summer.

Look around. You will find many older models (delta's to be sure) are better than a lot of newer tools, and if you pick them up used you can bring a lot more capacity into your budget.

Good luck hunting, Rich

my dad bought this little bandsaw made by craftsman, the thing kicks butt he payed 110 for it a believe. Its all steal, not plastic like ryobi. He uses it to cut metal cause he works with metal, sometimes i steal it and use it to cut what i need for my guitars lol. but if u looking for a little one and not a lot to spend i recoomend it.

Yeah both the band saw and drill press are made by Ryobi. I think for the price they would be pretty cheap. For some reason I cant get the site to link it through.

Either way both tools are $100 each

I've owned both.

The drill press isn't too bad, especially for the money. I still use mine after nearly 5 years although I am considering upgrading to a floor model just for size reasons. I have no qualms with the Ryobi's runout, power, adjustments, etc. And it fell out of the back of my truck while I was moving and suffered no damage, so IMHO it's pretty reliable. :D

Run as fast as you can from that bandsaw. Mine excelled at cutting curves, but not the curves I wanted to cut. Followed a line like someone twice the legal limit. Different blades didn't improve it much. I never realized how bad that bandsaw was until I got a good one.

Hope this helps!

Ditto that on the Ryobi drill press. I've had mine going on 3 years now and it's still one of the best all round tools in the shop.

The Ryobi bandsaw does have some issues. For one, it seems very finicky about the way it's set up. I need to get a new blade for it and then I'll go through a set up process again. I'll be happy to pass on my thoughts about it then. As for now, yep, the blade tends to wonder a little when you don't want it to.