Hotstick volunteers

Brian

just got the ibanez back and there isn't a great deal of difference but there is some kind of change, it doesn't help that the minimum requirements of the device is 8kilo ohms and my pickups are 7.5kilo ohms. but from what i've heard it doesn't really work anyway, but at least my guitar tech was impressed, but then again he is a stoner with one eye! B) + :D

one last thing if the output of the pickup was about 15kilo ohms would it work a lot better?

ps. just started a-level music tech and boy is that fun!! plus i got my GCSE results and i got 9 GCSE's!!!

Well I may have to go back to the drawing board on them, not silent just been busy flipping through the forum and other site's.

Yes your right about them being a pair of switching diodes. On the other hand I've been chatting with a local guitar freak here that's got a solution for doing the same thing to active pickup's. Thats in the work now and I know a few of those will be going to Wes for sure to play with.........

BTW it's fiberglass resin not playdoh :D

syxxstring I hope your's show up as well but if they don't , don't worry I'll send you out part of the next batch since this things gotta be worked out and I definately want real opinions once they work well.

Seems like a standard "dumb" diode has an activation voltage of around 0.7 volts. That's way too high for a humbucker (which pumps out about 350 mV, if I recall).

Checks through the internet... YES!

http://www.teamnovak.com/Tech_info/more%20...fo/SCHOTTKY.HTM

You would probably have better luck with the Schottky diode which activates around 150 mV. The humbucker should be nice and clippy going through one of those.

Time to make a trip to Radio Shack!

I just thought of another approach.

This would use a small audio transformer, probably like the ones in those 1/4"phono-to-XLR adapters with impedance matching transformers, or the small audio output transformers that they have at Radio Shack (something like 1k:8ohm).

The pickup signal would be applied through the "tone" pot to the Lo-Z side of the transformer which would step up the voltage to the Hi-Z side for better clipping by the diodes. As a result the effect of clipping would return back through the transformer as a reflected impedance so that the pickup would "see" a clipping voltage that's much lower than the actual 0.3 volts of the germanium diodes.

One detail that I forgot to put in the drawing is that the final clipped signal is taken across the pickup coil.

What do you think of my crazy idea? :D

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

so brian dude whats the outcome?????

mine works extremely well..although at the time i didn;t notice it

but thats because i was in my 100% gain/ noise mode

now i know that its great

nice mild crunch

and i have two left :D

and i'm putting them in anything that i upgrade the p'ups in

so brian dude whats the outcome?????

I think I originally used the wrong diodes, for some people it worked but for most it failed. I'm going to get another batch going as soon as I can run down the correct size and of course I'll provide free samples to a few when that happens but don't look for it in the near future. It will probably be a few weeks off.