Hotstick volunteers

Brian

I need three people with high output pickups that want to do an experiment (10K ohms or more) single-coil or hum-bucking pickups and a 250K control pot. Installation is easy, with no guitar body routing. Instructions included.

The purpose of this experiment is to see if you get a tube overdrive tone when the tone is turned up all the way. The Hotstick is a mini passive overdrive for guitars. It is my home built version of the Stew Mac Black Ice.

Weezerboy: I don't know. I reckon if you bake it for long enough and make sure it's good quality playdough, it could be quite a nice guitar. Not sure about the neck though. Reckon it could be a bit sticky and/or crumbly!

Jehle: I'm surprised I got selected tbh. I'll let everyone know what they're like when I get them. Really looking forward to playing with them. Wouldn't need a guitar tech to change my sounds :-)

Hey Brian,

I got the little red buggers in the mail over the weekend. I played around with them (alligator clipping before soldering) and couldn't tell any change in the sound.

I know how to read a schematic, so I'm fairly certain that I had everything connected right. I even took it appart and put it back together just to be sure.

I'll keep tinkering until I get something working.

If my X-ray goggles are working okay, I'm guessing that there's a few diodes in the playdoh.

*puts on pointy hat*

I'm thinking that the voltage from the pickups may not be higher than the activation voltage for the diode. I could make a simple buffer from a 741 op-amp to raise the voltage and get it to clip that way, but this is supposed to be a passive device.

I'm thinking that the voltage from the pickups may not be higher than the activation voltage for the diode. I could make a simple buffer from a 741 op-amp to raise the voltage and get it to clip that way, but this is supposed to be a passive device.

Then you've just made a dod 250 overdrive or an mxr distortion.

Well I may have to go back to the drawing board on them, not silent just been busy flipping through the forum and other site's.

Yes your right about them being a pair of switching diodes. On the other hand I've been chatting with a local guitar freak here that's got a solution for doing the same thing to active pickup's. Thats in the work now and I know a few of those will be going to Wes for sure to play with.........

BTW it's fiberglass resin not playdoh :D

syxxstring I hope your's show up as well but if they don't , don't worry I'll send you out part of the next batch since this things gotta be worked out and I definately want real opinions once they work well.