Multi Colored Paint

will that multi colored car paint work on guitars you know it changes color depending on the angle you look at it.

Duplicolor makes a kit for this purpose. has a base color and clear.

Alternately you could try createx auto air they have multiple prisma colors and they're water based.

I used the Mirage paint on a strat as well, my results weren't so good though. To my knowledge the problem was user error. I applied way to much mid coat and it pretty much killed the color change effect except when the guitar was in direct sunlight. So I guess it's the old adage of "practice on scrap first".

Good luck.

Nate Robinson :D

well see, duplicolor mirage paint is a CHEAP alternative to the real thing... mine has color shift... but its only dramatic in the sunlight (like nate said). I dont think if you thinned your coat it woulda made a difference, ive read other people who got the same results... but for a finish that i got for only 18 dollars i was more than happy. The REAL stuff they use on expensive cars is REALLY expensive... someone posted a link to it in another forums if your interested you could try searching it.

The duplicolor does work but people have had less than favorable situations with it. Most often their clear coat being thin and requiring a ga-gillion coats and as it's acrylic takes a long time to cure, commonly in excess of a month. When I used it I could still smell it almost three months after.

Also, according to them, they suggest to increase the color change use more coats not less. I noticed the trans started reducing after I started clearcoating. That one's still hanging in a closet pending final finish. :D

Edited by Gorecki

The paint on Jeff Gordon's Rainbow Warrior Nascar vehicle cost about $860.00! It only looks good in direct sun also. If you can find a shaved-head nose-pierced auto body dude he can probably tell you about the lower light painting effects you can do with modern automotive paint. My bud from Chicago has a black pickup truck that changes color and has flame detail show up when it gets dark. WAY cool. Pickups ROCK! :D

To my knowledge the problem was user error.  I applied way to much mid coat and it pretty much killed the color change effect except when the guitar was in direct sunlight.  So I guess it's the old adage of "practice on scrap first".

Good luck.

Nate Robinson :D

Actualy Nate, your problem wasn't on applying too much mid coat, but on applying the clear too wet. I had the same problem on my LP! And I called duplicolor and they told me that the more of the mid coat the better the effect!

I did a piece with DEFT as the clear, spraying a ton of thin coats and it turned out way better than with the dupli clear... I don't have them here to post but if you do it again, make sure that you spray thin, and not more than 3 coats a day.