Sweet Router Find

verhoevenc

Ok, so stew mac's hot rods are REAL easy, hense why a lot of people like them. HOWEVER, to make it even easier they offer a bit that does the width of the dado (7/32" which I find to be a WEIRD cutting diameter). However,t hey charge $20 for that bit!

Well, I just found that www.routerbits.com has a 1/4" shank, 7/32" cutting diameter bit made especially for dadoing for $13! What a steal! So I thought I'd share.

Chris

this is the one I bought. It's from amana and it's solid carbide. It seems to be really high quality as I've done 5 necks so far of very dense demanding wood and its still razor sharp.

Great business to deal with also. Very helpful. I orderd the standard 5 day shipping and it got here the next day in the mail :D

Edited by Godin SD

Ok, so stew mac's hot rods are REAL easy, hense why a lot of people like them. HOWEVER, to make it even easier they offer a bit that does the width of the dado (7/32" which I find to be a WEIRD cutting diameter). However,t hey charge $20 for that bit!

Well, I just found that www.routerbits.com has a 1/4" shank, 7/32" cutting diameter bit made especially for dadoing for $13! What a steal! So I thought I'd share.

Chris

Its actually $13.99, and the minimum postage is $4.99, so yeah, thats a pretty sweet discount!! :D

Chris

Its actually $13.99, and the minimum postage is $4.99, so yeah, thats a pretty sweet discount!! :D

Cool! Does that mean Stew Mac's shipping is free?

I don't want to put words in Perry's mouth, but I think he probably means if you are going to order some stuff from StewMac anyway, but you also found a cheaper alternative source for an item or two, you better consider the adding shipping cost of ordering from 2 places. If you can save a significant amount of money, then sure it's worth it.

Well, I know my point is way too obvious. But I know how it is to look through the StewMac catalog and see most items are quite expensive and you are likely to think " I'll show them. I'll see if I can find it cheaper somewhere else, even if it only saves me 2 dollars, or even if it's the same price, I want to show them I don't have to depend on them".

Well, I've probably thought that way a few times. But we'd be in trouble if StewMac went away. R&D for cool new tools would hit a brick wall.