Thoughts On Travel Practice Tools

GodBlessTexas

It looks like I might be travelling for work, and I was interested in a practice tool to take with me. My main rig is a POD XT Pro into a power amp, but I'm looking at something more compact than lugging around a rack. The Pox XT was the first thing to come to mind, but even used they are a significant investment. Unfortunately I have no experience with the others, but I thought I'd throw these out for feedback. If you have opinions on them or suggestions on other gear, let me know.

Pod 2.0 - similar to my pod tonally, but not the same and a bit big.

Korg Toneworks Pandora PX4G (guitar) or PX4D (guitar and bass).

Behringer v-amp

Any other suggestions that I haven't thought of?

GBT

I get great travel use out of my Steinberger spirit ($300-ish) and a Zoom PS-02 headphone amp. Not as good sounding as my DG Stomp or V-Amp2, but serviceable, AND runs on batteries, AND can record ideas. And it's tiny - 4" x 4" x 1" or so. And has aux in put for hooking up a CD player to jam to.

If you don't need to record, any of the Pandoras are pretty good as well, and I think Zoom has a non-recording unit now, too (plus a bigger, better one in the PS-04.

They sound about like you'd expect a $50 battery powered amp to sound :D. Heh. I suppose it's better than nothing. I'd really like to try a Pignose, I hear they're many, many times better.

You know, instead of one of those mini Marshall or Fenders, try a Smokey. Probably sounds as good for half the price, and runs on a 9V battery that lasts forever. Got one.

Pignose? Sounds like a much bigger amp, and you can carry it on a guitar strap ala Ralph Macchio in Crossroads. :D

The problem with a smokey for me was a:

1. Tone- Its just not that fun listening to a buzzing speaker for long, plus i miss effects and such

2. Volume-When I travel for work its long odd hours, not sure I want to be kicked from the Hilton for jamming at 2am.

Why I went black box:

1. Recording interface. I can play with recording toys, loops, drums etc

2. Headphones

3. Drum machine built in. Not the best but it is better than always going solo.

4. Unique effects. I really like the filter and some of the other effects so I have options for using this thing outside of travel.

I've been using a Line6 GuitarPort with a Laptop and couldn't be much more pleased.

The GuitarPort part is very reasonable in pricing but if you don't have a laptop, that'll bump up the price quite a bit. :D

Realistically, with something like NI's battery (VST drums) and a simple audio package, there isn't much you can't do.

My most common travel use is to bring along a DVD or two, plop one in the laptop with some headphones and I'm zooooomin. :D

How about a Fernandes Nomad with the built-in multi-effects? Although, a Hohner Steinberger-copy with EMG-SAs and a Roland Micro Cube would be a pretty sweet deal, too.

I sold my Nomad (deluxe, with the built in FX, which was a Zoom 505 at the time) to get the Steiny. The Spirit is a much better guitar and more fun to play, even in a travel situation. The only thing the nomad had going was, no 3' cord to a 9V amp - it was all there.