Removing Les Paul Bridge Parts?

right, i know theres a couple of tutorials on the site about removing bushings, but i just want to clarify im using the same things? ive removed the obvious parts but am left with two threaded poles sticking up where the strings would go over and then the holes with metal caps where the stop peice was. ive tried what it says on the site but its not working? help?

The bushings for the stop tail can be removed by dropping a screwdriver end down the hole in the centre, then screwing in the stud. The stud will push against the screwdriver bit and pull up the bushing.

I've done this several times.

The threaded posts for the bridge are harder - they are threaded into the body, and need to be unscrewed - I've found the best way is to thread both thumb wheels onto 1 post, then tighten them against each other until they lock. Usually this will allow you to unscrew the post by turning the 'locked' thumbwheels. Sometime the post is too tight, and in this case you may have to use a cutoff wheel to slot the end, and unscrew it with a flat blade screwdriver.

Don't try to use pliers or anything, you'll damage the thread and make adjustment difficult or impossible once the bridge is back on.

(for reference, here is what is being decribed - a thumb wheel and post height adjustment, rather than the bushing and stud used on many modern instruments) - http://www.fqms.com/Thumbwheels_Studs_for_...P10073C1360.cfm

ok sorry for being so stupid, i tried the top method, but it didnt seem to work? (also, i think one of the threads inside is knackered)

Picture

this is a snap of what im looking at (sorry for the hugeness, ie should resize it)

i didnt understand the bottom method atall? sorry, the actual poles turn towards the body but not away, also, one of the threads on this is bad aswell, yes, i did get this guitar in pretty poor condition, and yes, it is horrible routing.

many thanks

In a recent thread we talked about >>>>>>>>Removing Inserts<<<<<<<<<

I do the same as Setch without any problems at all, and I use a larger bolt so it will have more threads to lift up the insert. You just tighten the screw until it touches the bottom of the insert hole, and then keep turning it and the pressure from the bolt against the wood will lift the insert straight out just like it was hammered in. Now if your talking about the tune-o-matic bridge, then you can do the same thing with a longer bolt the same size. You take the Stud/Wheel out and using a same size bolt/thread size etc., do the same method for regular inserts. If you can't take the Stud/Wheel off then use something that will, channel lock or whatever, because it's messed up and will have to be replaced anyway. I hope I'm understanding that this is what the problem is, correct me if I'm out in left field, :D

Here you go:

The reason you had trouble was a screwdriver tip won't fit into the bushing - my bad, I usually use a pickup polepiece, but I didn't think you'd have one to hand, so I guessed that a screwdriver end would substitute.

Anyway, find something which will fit, and drop it into the hole (2). Insert the stud, and start screwing it down (3). Keep going until it bottoms out on the polepiece (4).

bushings1.jpg

Now keep turning, and watch the bushing. If all goes well, it will be drawn out of the body (1). Once it's all the way up, you can pull it out with your fingers, or if it's still tightly held, use a padded block and a screwdriver to lever it out (2&3). NOTE!! - Hold onto it - I would be, but I had my other hand on the camera - you don't want it to ping out and up, then have gravity re-introudce it to your nice smooth guitar top!

Et voila - it's out (4).

bushings2.jpg

I took pics of the post removal process too - they'll be up in a bit.

EDIT : Matt, look at the bridge posts above - there is no bushing to remove - the posts thread directly into the maple top - this is the old style tune-a-matic setup, and what I tend to use.

Here's how I remove them:

Screw on one thumbwheel (1). Screw on a second (2). Screw the bottom wheel up, until it is hard up against the top wheel (3) and tweak the wheels, holding the top still and turning the bottom until it 'locks' against the top wheel.

Now, simply turn the bottom wheel (without loosening the top one) and unscrew the post from the body (4). As I said before, if the post is too firmly held it will be impossible to get out this way, and in this case you'll have to cut a slot in the end and unscrew it with a screwdriver.

posts1.jpg

thanks a bunch for that, i shall try that tomorrow!

the only thing i dont get is the other bits (the small threaded poles that are sticking up) can they be removed to? i want to sand down the body, but obviously there getting in the way. thanks a lot for the pic's though, its a real help!!

edit, btw, if you look at the pic i posted earlier, theres a bottom part to the poles that you dont have on your picture, is that what your referring to when you say old style tune o matic?

Edited by lecompt

I can't tell from your pic if the 'extra bit' on your's is just the thumbwheel, or a bushing like on the stoptail. If it's another bushing you'll need to find a thread which matches, and screw this into the bushing like Matt suggests.

I've done it his way, using M10 studding for a tune-a-matic stop tail stud - it is essentially the same technique, and works just as well. IIRC the posts on my bridge are 4mm M7, don't know if this is helpful...

P.S - Just incase, I editted the above post to include my tech post removal technique.

ok sorry for being so stupid, i tried the top method, but it didnt seem to work? (also, i think one of the threads inside is knackered)

Picture

this is a snap of what im looking at (sorry for the hugeness, ie should resize it)

i didnt understand the bottom method atall? sorry, the actual poles turn towards the body but not away, also, one of the threads on this is bad aswell, yes, i did get this guitar in pretty poor condition, and yes, it is horrible routing.

many thanks

Is that guitar one of those Kay Les Paul copies with effects and stuff? If it is, nice guitar! (I like guitars that are a little different)

EDIT: Oh no, it isn't. What is it? It looks like something similar.

Edited by Calum_Barrow

i have no idea what guitar it is, never seen a LP like it before!

as for progress, got three of the buggers out, the last remaining bridge pole is still in there, the threads totally gone on it so i cant screw the thumbwheels on to get any leverage on the hammer, so i've taken to sort of going underneath it with a screwdriver, since the top got a bit mashed from removing the other ones (they were definatly glued in, the residue was in the hole) and its getting all sanded down after so small dents arnt really a problem, just gotta take this last one very slow :D

edit: f**k yeah! got the bugger out :D and with not too much damage (superficial, sanded out quite well)

Edited by lecompt