What Effect Is Alexi Using?

Hughes

Sorry I don't have your answer, but I just have to comment :D

I had NO idea those two were so talented! Thats a great duo they have going there! I dunno, maybe its a cardinal sin for modern metal followers, but I never really got into the whole European metal movement and I always kinda disliked Alexi Laiho just because of the arrogant way he seems to come across in interviews and things... almost like you have to be an ass if you want to be in metal :D But yeah, its not like I think he is awesome now because he has some serious chops, but still... props to him on that at least.

Re: the effect... I am not entirely sure becuase I can't make it out well enough with the two of them playing... but with my GT-6 I can get a that orchestra feel if I muck around with my chorus/reverb settings, but it takes some fiddling. I think there is an orchestra preset? Like I said though, im having a hard time making it out over the both them playing at once. Does sound like its the other guitarist that has the effect on though perhaps.

Sorry I couldnt be more help B)

- Dan

OK, dug up a list of his gear.  According to this interview with Roope Latvala, he owns a Boss GS-10, which has a guitar synth.  He does not claim to have a harmonizer.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

If the Boss guitar synth is anything like their bass synth, I highly doubt it could track that quickly.

i think its probably a guitar synth i heard that the roland gs-20 and gs-30 have really great orchestral sounds, and have no tracking probloms if they are set up right. but if it is a roland guitar synth it would have to have an internal synth pick up, because i didn't see any wires coming out from under the bridge pick up, or the controls the wire would go to that are usally duct taped or velcroed to the side of the guitar. i couldnt tell if the guitar had a synth pic up on it, because if tis a roland it would be black and mounted between the bridge pick up and the bridge.

it could also be a sound to midi converter (i think thats wha thtey're called), but i heard that the tracking on those are horrible. Oh, just incase you couldn't tell, ima bit of a synth geek :D

If the Boss guitar synth is anything like their bass synth, I highly doubt it could track that quickly.

Well, are you talking about the old SYB-3 or the new SYB-5? Also, the GS-10 is a pretty powerful unit, and is not a pedal.

They are using a backing track, but you can plainly see Roope Latvala (the guitarist on the right) hitting the notes that correspond to the string notes. He even does some tapping and you can hear it as strings. Alexi Laiho (on the left) is just playing his normal distorted guitar sound. As long as he doesn't do any string bends or whammy work the synth should track fine.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...