Ledzendrix's Bass

One of the cool things about school is that you have access to some really great equipment. So I am gonna take full advantage of this. This is what ive done so far on my neck through bass project.

I am pleased to introduce to you, Brooke.

bass1.JPG

Hope you guys like it. I should be making daily progress, although it will most likely go slow now bc of "holiday" break (your not allowed to say christmas).

Keep in mind this is rough shaped... i sanded a lot, but there is still a lot of shaping to do. Im gonna try to put a fairly deep carve on the top, and still have to contour the neck (asking for a spokeshave and a router for christmas).

Edited by Ledzendrix1128

One of the cool things about school is that you have access to some really great equipment.

Maybe for you, my school considering how much you have to pay to go there (7000$ AUS, for Day boys and 17000 for boarders) is like the worst school out for woodworking tools and ****.. i mean some of the state schools here in aus have better facilities and you dont pay to go to a state school.

the only things that they have that are good is a decent range of 2 year old makita tools. everything else is caveman style, i mean they have a radial arm saw that NEVER cuts straight, a bandsaw with a huge dent in the blade that they will not replace, sanders with paper on it that has seen the 80's and a teacher that wont let me do **** unless i come in after school, luckily i live at school lol so thats no problem.

ahh Shut up me..... lol....

Zendrix, nice bass so far i really like the look you got going here, what plans have you got for it?

Spokeshave, no way man i think there deadly lol, get a rasp man they are great for shaping then get some fine halfround files to smooth it out after the rasp then some sandpaper :D

What kinda router are you thinking of? make sure it has variable speed if you plan to use bits over 35mm diameter..

:D

ok sorry,heres some specs for you

Router im asking for - Makita 3612 - woodshop teacher recommended it and let me use his personal one for this bass and i really liked it (3-1/4 HP)

Bass Specs -

Neck - 24 fret 34" scale 5 peice maple/walnut (neckthrough)

Fret board - Macassar ebony (15" radius)

Neck re-enforcement - 2 graphite rods and one dual expanding truss rod (ordered from LMII today!)

Body - Ash

Pickups - EMG PJ set (complete with pots, jack, and power supply)

bridge - hipshot 4 string "C" style bridge (black)

Tuners - hipshot (black)

black straplocks

and to top it all off... im gonna turn my own knobs out of scrap walnut on the lathe.... thats what i plan so far... of course they are ALL subject to change.

And zoso, yeah ill most likely use rasps... but you cant really see the back of the neck... its a little over 1-3/4 thick... so i need somethin to take off that maple pretty quickly, Im thinkin spokeshave to chunk out the wood fast... then switch to rasps. plus ill need a spokeshave to do some of the contouring on the top anyway (and various other wood projects im doing)

Edited by Ledzendrix1128

and it produces cooler waste than a rasp... you jsut get dust with rasps.. with spoke shaves you get those cool strips... good for starting fires.

danm right about that, shoulda seen the mess i made when i rough shaped out my going-to-be neck.... yeah spokeshaves would be good i just dont particularily like them...

The 3612 is a great router but maktec (makitas budget brand) makes the exact same router for about 100$ Aus less so like 75$Us less.. its called the mt360, i own one its great, runs smooth and very powerful, might not be 3 1/2hp but its very powerful. i think the 3612 doesnt have variable speed and i know the mt360 doesnt so if you are going to use bits bigger than 35mm diameter dont get a single speed router.

anyways cant wait to see some more pics, GET WORKING lol... jk..

:D

• 5 months later...

Nice!

I like the body shape, and the wood grain is cool.

You've exceeded your monthly limit on your geocites account though, you're not going to win GOTM if nobody can see it :D

hi! that's a nice looking bass, congrats!

i have a question... on the pictures seems to be a thin wood between the neck and the fingerboard giving the neck the apropiate height for the strings action... am i right? there's any advantage/disadvantage on doing that??

PS: sorry for my crappy english :D

Edited by gak123

that actually started out as an error on my part about a year ago when i started building it, i ran the whole thing through the planer after the wings were glued on. This made it pretty easy to get everything level, which is the advantage, but the disadvantage is that you have to glue on 2 fretboards. I like the walnut spacer though, at first i was kicking myself cuz i had to do it, but now i have kinda grown to like it. Sound wise I can't really notice anything different about it either.