Finally, Progress !

Finally, I've made some progress on my practice project ! I know I've been promising progress pics for months now, but I've been waiting to get a new router. The cheap Harbor Freight one died on me soon after I began this project. Well, I finally got a new Bosch 2 1/4 HP fixed/plunge combo set for Christmas, and I have now been able to advance on my project.

Nobody probably remembers, so I will refresh your memories. I wanted to try my hand at my first carve top, set neck guitar ( only my second build overall also). I chose a Gibson LP double cut away for this project.

I did not want to spend tons of money on Mahogany and Flamed Maple, only to ruin it due to inexperience. So, I tried to think how I could come up with wood cheaply.

I have a large pile of very seasoned White Oak firewood in my back yard. By seasoned, I mean this wood has been sitting out there for about 5 years. I started cutting the wood up on my table saw, but soon determined that I could not get anything more useful out of it besides some pieces about 20" x 1" x 1 1/2". I have a friend at work who had a Mahogany plank that he had bought with hopes of making a banjo ring, but he gave up. So, he sold me the plank real cheap.

I set about making a laminated body blank much like a cutting board for your kitchen. I used this as the top for my body blank and bought some 4/4 White Oak at a local Woodcraft store. The 4/4 White Oak was also laminated in three pieces to create the back for my body blank.

I also chambered the Oak and Mahogany top of the body blank to reduce the weight before gluing the top and bottoms together. As seen here:

http://home.mindspring.com/~ed5/Project/IMAG0186.JPG

http://home.mindspring.com/~ed5/Project/IMAG0183.JPG

The neck blank was also a laminate made of Mahogay and White Oak to keep up with the theme of the guitar. I have a shot of the neck with the truss rod channel routed and the scarf joint and head stock cut and glued, and the tenon cut, here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ed5ds/Project/IMAG0257.JPG

the rest of my project pics can be viewed here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ed5ds/Project/

PGthreadlink.JPG

Let me know what you guys think. Remember, this is my first carve top and set-neck, and scarf joint. Like I said before, this is a practice project to hone my skills some before attempting these techniques with good woods. Keep in mind that this body is far from being "final" sanded. This is just a rough sanding at 50 grit paper.

I also wet the body to show the grain of the wood better. As this wood is basically "scrap", I haven't decided yet whether I will finish this natural or paint it to cover some the blemishes in the wood.

There are also a couple of pics of he fretboard. This is my first attempt at slotting a fretboard by hand too. I got the Rosewood at my local Woodcraft shop. The blank was 24" x 3" x 1/2". I had them resaw it for me to give two blanks at 24" x 3" x 3/16" each.

I made up a jig on a cheap router table that I have to square the saw, and slotted the fretboard with a Japanese pull saw. I plan to inlay it with the Abalone block inlays from Grizzly.

Edited by Fender4me

Wow, I can't believe it. 114 views, and no one has any comments ? No, "Man, that thing sucks !" Or, "Boy, we can sure tell its only your second build !" Maybe even a "Nice job, but I have a few critiques."

I guess its still the holidays, and not many people are posting, but I thought I would have gotten one reply by now. I don't mean to be sensitve, but I was just hoping for some feedback on how my project is going, since it has been on hold for so long. And don't worry about being critical. I don't think anyone here could find any flaws or problems that I haven't already noticed myself. I tend to be my most severe critic usually.

Thanks for your coments Nitefly. I know what you mean about the "cutting board" look. That is why I have not decided yet whether to finish it natural or paint it. Sometimes when I look at it, I think the mix off woods looks really nice, but there are some blemishes that turn me off too. With a solid color finish, that would be taken care of.

Thanks mull ! And especially you Matt ! Coming from someone of your skill, I take your words as a compliment.

I know what you mean mull, about taking more wood. I feel like the shape is still a bit "fat" if you will. It doesn't quite have the gentle slope of a real Gibson yet.

One concern I have about that though is the relationship between the face of the carve where it curves downward and the depth of the control cavity. I didn't want to take a chance of carving too severe and intersecting that cavity. As it is right now, the holes for the pots and the three-way switch have about 5/16" of wood left.

I am thinking about leaving it as is and using a forstner bit to drill on the inside of the control cavity, to get the wood thickness to the depth required for the pots and switch. The pots won't be a problem, but the switch I currently have is an offset three-way like Gibson uses on their SGs. Its made for a shallow cavity, so the threaded part of the shaft of the switch is only about 3/16" deep. the pots have 3/8" on the threaded part f the shaft. I have also seen a three-way switch that Grizzly sells that has about the same 3/8" threaded shaft like the pots. I think I will get one of those and use the forstner bit method I spoke of.

Edited by Fender4me

Everything you and others have said here seem to cover all I've noticed.

I do think that a solid color would look good such as a gold top or pearlescent, dark red.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Who knows? It may play and sound awesome even with a non-tradition tone wood.

I like the idea of a nice strong strip of oak down the middle of the neck to strengthen around the truss rod.

I like it a lot! It's very clean, and has a classic look to it while still maintaining (jeez that's a funny looking word!) its originality.

Give it a natural finish. If it keeps the cutting board look (oh god please forgive me for this pun), maybe it'll be good for practicing your chops? :D (I'm sorry. Really, I am.)

Anyway, the only critique I would have is that the carving on the top looks a little abrupt. If you were to go back in with some heavy sandpaper and just smooth out the carve a bit, it'd be a lot more pleasing to the eye.

Give it a natural finish. If it keeps the cutting board look (oh god please forgive me for this pun), maybe it'll be good for practicing your chops?  (I'm sorry. Really, I am.)

Ba dum bum ! Thanks folks he'll be here all week :D

I appreciate your input skibum. I know what you mean about the carve being abrupt, as I said in and earlier reply it still looks a little "fat" to me too. I do plan on doing a little more shaping before I am through.

Also, as I said earlier, there are some blemishes in the wood, as it was created from firewood. I will decide how it looks after I do the grain filling and then make up my mind whether to spray it with a clear coat of laquer or go ahead and spray a solid color. I am thinking about a maroon or wine color like vankirk had mentioned. I have always been partial to that color, and it would match my wife's set of Ludwig drums ! :D

On another note, the Mahogany I used for the neck is a very light color. I would prefer it be a little darker when finished. Can anyone tell me, will the wood "darken" noticably with the application of grain filler and clear laquer ? Or should I use some Mahogany stain to get a deeper Mahogany tint ?

Edited by Fender4me