Who Uses Woods For Inlays?

here's a walnut guitar that i built. for the inlay i used 16 different species of wood. the light colored outline is binding material.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1060875

• 2 weeks later...

zendrix: im not sure if its a good idea to inlay with maple on ebony, i think when you radius sand that a lot of ebony will get into the maple and won't be able to clean out completely

I never really thought about that, the fretboard is actually coming pre-radiused, and i planned on making the maple level with an already radiused fretboard using a chisel, and then i would be doing minimal sanding, but ill test it out on scrap first to see what happens now that you say that. Maple is a close grained wood though, i would think there wouldnt be any pores for the ebony dust to really get into.

Maple's still got pores, and they're certainly large enough to get ebony dust in. Using edge tools (chisels, plane) to level, and then moving to scrapers is the best way to keep things clean. I scrape my maple fretboard binding when I use it, and then seal it with shellac (painted on) to keep it from going very nasty coloured.

Maybe a good way its to glue the maple inlay with epoxy or poli first and after you can sand normal.

...how does this prevent staining?

Acrylized/stabilized wood might provide a solution, but I don't know enough about the stuff to really comment. Larry Davis at Gallery Hardwoods would be a good person to ask.