Aftrican Mahogany

So there's this guy on Ebay always selling blanks made out of African Mahogany. Does this have the same tone,finishing, etc characteristics as Honduras Mahogany. That seems to be pretty much the standard as far as mahogany goes right? If they will work out alright I think they're a decent deal. Like 20-25$ for a one piece blank. LMK know what you guys think.

Scott

It doesn't have the same tone as the Honduras. There is a web site that lists all the different properties - I'll see if I can find it again. Here's a quick reference for some tone woods - Tone Woods - quick reference - it's not the one I'm thinking of. I also understand that the Honduras is often not really Honduras (I think it has been banned from export). If I can find the site that shows the Honduras and African differences, I'll let you know.

not to highjack the thread.... but i was using bloodwood for a carving block i was about to sand it and since it was red i figured i should put on the filtered respirator mask... good thing i did cause that site said "*** Highly Toxic if Cutting or Routing...***

" :D lucky me....

Thanks for the info. So based on this a guitar made of African mahogany with a maple top would probably sound a bit to shrill for most people. Just curiuos if anyone has used it and what did the finished product sound like.

I've been considering building a maple top guitar with a maple body and fretboard. Some people have said that it would be too bright but I have noticed that a maple body with a maple fretboard is not uncommon. I know ESP builds them and I'm sure I could find others as well. I guess it depends on the type of music the guitar is to be used for.

I'd like to know if the "brightness" is something that really stands out or is a subtle effect. the only guitar I have built is an Alder body with a Brazillian Rosewood fretboard - it does have a bit more bass tone to it than my Ibanez which has a maple fretboard and Basswood body.

If you do end up going with that combo, please let us know how it sounds. I'd really like to know.

The problem is the body, if it's full maple, without sound chambers, you're gonna get a huge emphasis in the mid trebles and trebles that's undesirable. That means you're gonna get those trebles distorted even at a very clean setting, and due to those highly emphasized range at the highs, you'll lack bass. (unbalanced treble - bass ratio, which can't be handled by the amplifier). Listen Rickenbackers - they're made of maple BUT with sound chambers (thinline or hollowbodies), and they still sound bright enough to get that famous jingle-jangle sound. This is my 2 cents. :D

what about compensating with a rediculusly sick set of heavy bass emphasized pickups? u could also rig up some kind of capacitor that was on all the time to keep the treb and mids under control?

Here's the guitar I was talking about:

Maple with more Maple

I realize that this is a very limited guitar in terms of what it would be useful for but I don't want people to think that a maple (or other bright wood) guitar with a maple fretboard is not going to sound good. It definitely depends on what style of music the guitar is intended for. I have heard this guitar played and it sounds great for a lead / distortion / fusion jazz type of sound. Probably not as good for a blues or softer style of music. I'll shut up about it now, I just don't want anyone to get scared off without hearing both sides on this issue.

what about compensating with a rediculusly sick set of heavy bass emphasized pickups? u could also rig up some kind of capacitor that was on all the time to keep the treb and mids under control?

Yep, that's possible, but that way you won't be able to get those twangy single-coil sounds. But would be an original sound indeed. There's a guitarist Tátrai Tibor who's famous here in Hungary, he's got a custom made full maple strat, with three Casio pickups (LOL). Picture below. Well, that's got something sparkling sound and I can't say that's anything bad.

010.JPG