Sentinel V Progress Thread

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That V looks sweet. I was never a big fan of V's in general until I got an old beater for my 30th birthday. I will post pics of it when I get it back home. I am a teacher and it is my "school guitar". I left it there when school broke up.

Again, sweet design. A nice nod to Dime. Well done.

Luke

:D

No! Man, how can you wait that long? I know patience is important but that is too long.

Let me know when you start this, I want to see how it turns out. I would love to build that thing myself. I think once I am finished the 2 strats I am working on then another V will be the order of the day.

Luke

:D

well considering how long ago i started the design process, a few more months is alright..

i was originally supposed to have the plans to doug in september, so the delay is my own fault :D its fine though, NAMM is coming up and this gives me a little breathing room to jump on a guitar if i see one i just "have to" have :-p

as long as this turns out as i imagined it, then its worth the wait. i'll keep ya'll updated but it doesnt look like there will be too many updates in the next bit

oh yeah, and the bobbins on the pickup will be black/white with chrome casing too, fyi

and the paint scheme, though i thought it was original when i came up with it, ends up nikki sixx did the exact same thing to one of his t-birds back for the Home Sweet Home live music video. had a matching back too which is what i'm doing too...goddamnit....what are the odds? lol

i wish i could find a copy of that video, i wanna see it again. i just hapepned to watch it at like 2am when they were playing old 80s videos

edit: founds pics!

sixxbass13zq.jpg

sixxbass22qb.jpg

Edited by mailman

i was thinking about it, and should i get a "cracked mirror" job done to this, or does my black/white paintjob look like a cooler idea?

I think you should paint it a deeeeep lampblack, and polish it mirror smooth. Like the monolith in 2001/2010.

I still can't believe Doug is building this guitar, though. Doesn't seem like quite his style. I would think if you're going to the expense of a custom such as this you'd get some nice figured woods or a bit more originality in the design. No offense intended, but I think you could take an Epiphone V and cut a couple of notches in the body, refinish it with a spray can, and get the same result.

the expenses are on par with just about any other USA made guitar out there

and this is about as "original" as any other guitar on this board. nothings original anymore, just different takes on old ideas.

as far as figured woods go, i think quilt bubinga is a nice figured wood. how is that bad?

Edited by mailman

the expenses are on par with just about any other USA made guitar out there

and this is about as "original" as any other guitar on this board. nothings original anymore, just different takes on old ideas.

as far as figured woods go, i think quilt bubinga is a nice figured wood. how is that bad?

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't notice the quilt bubinga. To be fair, you keep mentioning how you're trying to find an original design, so I figured you'd just decided to settle on something not necessarily as original as you would have liked.

How are you going to deal with upper fret access when the body joins with the neck so far up the neck?

I like the design, actually. In a strange way, it almost takes a standard V and makes it classier.

That is, it has the potential to be classy. The "Goth Traffic Marker" paint job doesn't really do it for me. I'd like to see this one in gloss piano-lacquer black, maybe with a white pinstripe where that bevel line is on your original design, and gold fittings. Heck, if you could rout that pinstripe in and fill it with brass square wire, that would look even sicker, especially under a thick clear finish.

This guitar could go either way at this point. You could take it in a direction that would make it much classier than most other V's on the market, or you could take it in a Metal/Hairmetal direction. Either is valid, but I think you'd end up with a cooler, more original, and more head-turning guitar if you went in the classier direction.

Either way, it's entirely your call.

Perhaps some inspiration

Perhaps some more inspiration

okay, ive taken your ideas of making it a little more classy into consideration

how about this:

quilt maple or bubinga top, or w/e

solid black like a black beauty

and instead of the huge white trans stripes, thin almost pinstripping instead spread out more so its more black than stripes. and the stripes be more of an aged/golden with the trans-quilt under neath it to give it some 3d depth

back natural

cream/black binding, gold hardware, gold block inlays

sound better?

Here's where I'm sort of drawing my ideas for this one:

http://www.markgoodwinpianos.co.uk/img/mg1...aha-g2/logo.jpg

We have a Yamaha C3 Concert Grand at home with the same logo on it. The Yamaha logo on their grand pianos is solid brass, laid into the wood, and then the whole thing is finished with a thick polyester clear. IMO, there are few things classier than that brass-on-black logo under some good, thick clear.

What I had imagined was not unlike the bound dean V you posted, but instead of binding, inlay a stripe of brass wire as a pinstripe 1/4" in from the edge, all the way around. Whether you want to go with flamed maple or anything is fancy is your call; I'd go gloss black or perhaps trans black over unfigured wood. You could even add a matching logo on the headstock in brass. It'd be easy enough to do with some sheet stock and a cheap jewelry saw, too.

You're right, plain black isn't all that original by itself; however, applying classic piano styling to an otherwise extreme guitar like this one would look really cool.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you end up with.