Mockingbird Progress

Hughes

Hi, before i post any pictures, i must say that there is no detail work done yet and i mean NONE. That means no sanding, bumpy edges and no planing done on the top (thats why it looks like theres a line in the two pieces). These pictures are pretty terrible but you can see the basics. ill post more after i do detail work and get a better cam. (using webcam)

Picture2.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/Mar...al/Picture3.jpg

mahogany body with minimal quilt top (quilt is there but you cant see it on these pics) oh and the left wing is looks a bit off because the little circle cut away thing isnt circled enough due to no detail work

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/Mar.../Picture005.jpg

if it doesnt look exact, it is haha i made sure of that

and the neck joint is all rough and probably not even square

critiques welcome and remember, no detail work yet :D

Edited by Hughes

i should post what im putting in it...

Kahler 2500 trem bridge

Black gotoh schaller style 3x3 tuners

Pickups im still deciding on...i really like the looks and sound of EMGs but they are kinda expensive so i might put a set of Seymour duncans in (if anyone has cheap EMGs for sale, im all ears)

1 tone and 1 volume knob, 3 way pickup selector switch, and a mini switch which will either be a coil tap or a on/off switch

Ebony fretboard with MOP diamonds and jumbo frets

bevling the upper and lower wing, not sure if im making a arm rest

Staining the top red and the back black

like i said, i really want critiques, im really happy with it SO FAR so any oppinions or anything anybody wants to see done differently on it?

• 1 month later...

i should post what im putting in it...

Kahler 2500 trem bridge

Black gotoh schaller style 3x3 tuners

Pickups im still deciding on...i really like the looks and sound of EMGs but they are kinda expensive so i might put a set of Seymour duncans in (if anyone has cheap EMGs for sale, im all ears)

1 tone and 1 volume knob, 3 way pickup selector switch, and a mini switch which will either be a coil tap or a on/off switch

Ebony fretboard with MOP diamonds and jumbo frets

bevling the upper and lower wing, not sure if im making a arm rest

Staining the top red and the back black

like i said, i really want critiques, im really happy with it SO FAR so any oppinions or anything anybody wants to see done differently on it?

Looks great! Are those two peices of mahogany where there is a line in the body? or is it just one? the set of Seymour duncans pickups is not a bad choice... my step son put a set on his dean and it sounds great! he plays like guitar whisper....a word of advice on (anything anybody wants to see done differently on it?) ......Put what you want own it....do it like you want it done...your the builder ignore bad critiques for they will just discourage you! It so happens I'm with you....It looks great so far! Have you detailed it or plane/sanded the body yet?Did you mean stain or dye...the body? look forward seeing your progress! stay cool

thanks for your responses. It is two piece but from the same plank. The maple top slid a bit off near the bottom so I'm using the mahogany joint as my center on the back. I have made a bit more progress such as adding the bridge and trem cavity. (The back cavity is quite deep, will 3/4" be good enough for pickup cavity depth?).

I have also straightend the the neck joint and slotted the fretboard.

Hopefully I can get back in shop class soon :D

As far as templates go: http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com/electricguitar.htm

I personally just used my Bronze to sketch on paper to transfer the shape to plywood where I then made my template

Edited by Hughes

• 2 months later...

Just some slow progress, thought some of you might like to see what i have done in this long time span :D

100_1827.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/Mar...al/100_1829.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/Mar...al/100_1828.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/Mar...al/100_1826.jpg

i didnt take any pictures of the back since the neck has glue and ebony dust hardended on it :D

Also, i have to cut off the excess fretboard so i can have enough room for two humbuckers

Edited by Hughes

thanks.

well, today i only got the neck mounted with screws. im really anxious to receive my pickups so i can finish up.

id really like to read some more feedback so i can improve on things that suck, so fire away.

Cant see anything that sucks from here. It looks very nice. The edge needs beveling, but it seems you plan to do that (judging by those pencil lines)

Nice guitar!

• 4 weeks later...

hey, ummmm the neck was almost finished so i decided to do a test string up. i put the low e string on first. everything looked fine, the string followed the fretboard perfectly. then i put on the high e....it's no where near 1/8" along the fretboard. anyone got any suggestions on how i could make a new neck fit the existing neck pocket? or what? firewood?

i am getting them from a guy who WANTS to be a duncan dealer which means he has to order like 20 sets before he is allowed. i got them for $100 american, the mustaine set

Does this guy want you spreading this around? SD probably wouldn't be too happy with him costing out the PU's (or at least publicizing it.). Might do your pal a favor and keep it between you guys.

:D Rich

seymour duncan, by the sounds of it, doesnt seem like they care about their dealers to much or else i would be holding those pickups right now. now im waiting for my money to come back all because of terrible sales rep's. i dont think he will have any trouble if i spread this around since he already did to get his 20 customers, thanks for your concern though :D

oh and a new nut wont help since i just plainly screwed up on the neck taper...didnt double check

Edited by Hughes