Future Gotm Candidate...

This guitar has definitely been there and back again. Its been a big testing ground for the finishing aspects of my work and I finally worked out something that I like. After the 3rd attempt I just needed a break and left it like it was, just wanted to play it for a while. :D But I really wasn't satisfied with the results, despite getting some reasonable feedback from one of the GOTM's last year (forgot which month).

Its a 24 fret all mahogany SG Custom. Neckthrough design, 1 vol. and 1 tone only, overwound humbuckers, jack plug-in is the rear strap button.

Here is a link to what it used to look like:

http://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=AlsSG.jpg

Since then I've done away with the stainless pickguard, slimmed down the neck and recarved the body giving more accent to the edges. The final finish (after 3 or 4 more "strippings") is the deepest blue, fine metal flake I've ever seen and I edge bursted with dark metallic grey Duplicolor SUV paint. The pickguard is one-side scuff resistant "Acrulite" plexi with its back sprayed with the SUV paint. I got the blue paint from Zeller's, of all places. Both paints are acrylic lacquer rattlecan.

sg0407kq.th.jpg

I still have lots of work to do on it yet. I'll be carving a bone nut, and the current weather does not allow me to even attempt a clear coat. I'm going to try a high gloss Varithane. The color coats have cured for a good bit of time but there are still some touchups to do. But for now its just assembled together to check out the fit and look of things, no soldering done.

A couple friends have looked at it and I really appreciate my neighbor's input as he doesn't hold back and BS me. He likes it! Another friend wants this guitar and offered me $1000. I told him to let me finish it first and we'll talk. But I'm not the type of person to rely on things like that. I still want to play it for a while. :D

I built the guitar entirely from scratch. It was finished (the first time) in fall 2004. The inlays are dyed blue abalone. Here are a few more pics. It will look MUCH better when cleaned up, touched up and clearcoated. But these pics really show the actual color. If i can't find black screws then I will paint the ones shown. For now, its just an assembly.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7964/sg0067qv.jpg

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/4899/sg0053yr.jpg

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6889/sg0075gr.jpg

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/3246/sg0082yi.jpg

Edited by Southpa

SG,s are my favorite.Nice job.I just hsd a bad experience with high gloss varathane.I had lacquer my bass in antique white and multicoated varathane.It turned the guitar a nasty shade of yellow and last night i stripped it all back off.not syre if it will affect your darker colour but I vow never to use it again.I might try an autmotive clear coat next time.Ah live and learn :D

and the current weather does not allow me to even attempt a clear coat.

No kidding! Definitely a wet winter, this one. :D

Mike

Are you guys afraid of the winter????

DSC01875.jpg

can you see whats on the background on the floor. It was 25 degrees when I painted this one! BTW, that SG is lookin' sweet.

Maiden, I have a question for you. I tried to message you but for some reason it wasn't working, so I apoligize for the long question in the forum. Anyway I was searching through the forums on staining a flamed maple top when I came across your post from June of '05 on the Kelly you built. I have a warlock that what I was told was mahogany. I was wanting to stain it but i like the looks of the flamed top. Now with this warlock body needing a veneer to get that look, how would I go about doing that being that the body has the beveled edges? Do I just go to the edge of the bevel? Or would it look good if I just stained the body like it is with no veneer? I am not looking for a natural look either. Maybe like a dark blue or purple. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. :D

Are you guys afraid of the winter????

Hardly! I've lived here all my life and love to ski.

But I do have second thoughts about spraying nitro outdoors when it's 38 degrees with 90% humidity. :D

I really love the look of that mahogany (it is mahogany, isn't it?) back, Maiden. :D

Nope, that back is walnut! You can't see it well there because of 2 facts, the pic is a bit dark and I filled the grain with black epoxy giving it a darker look. here is a better look. Also the paint used was DEFT from can. Not bad huh!

bcjim. On that Kelly, the maple is 1/2" thick so the bevels are still on the maple. On the case of a veneer on any guitar I would glue the veneer and then sand it flush with the edges, once that is done I will either use CA or epoxy to seal all the edges of the veneer, I think that CA will be a lot easier than epoxy. To get the finish you want, I will go a trickier way. I tried this on a few epieces of veneer and it turned out great, I used a black stain very diluted, and wiped it almost dried on a few pieces of veneer, then I used candy colors to tone the wood the color that I wanted. In my case I used 2 different paints. One was the Metalcast from duplicolor, and the other were with Createx translucent colors. They all turned good! And I think that for a veneer it is the safe way to go. The only problem is HOW good you applied the veneer. If the glue soaked thru, the stain will not penetrate there and it will not look good.

Now once you get the color in all you have to do is the same thing that Southpa did on his SG, do a black burst on the edges to cover were the venner stop and then clear everything.

• 1 month later...

A little more progress, not that you can tell. :D Started clearcoating, just a quick assembly to get the general idea. I didn't like all that chrome and stainless, sort of detracts from the body colors, so I painted some of the hardware (tailpiece and bridge frame), control plate on back and vol. tone knobs. Looks MUCH better and fits into the general scheme. I plan to find some black tuners and save the chrome Grovers for some other project. I also painted the entire neck charcoal metal flake like the edging. I've only got one shooting session down so a little scuffing and more painting to come... :D

sg023test2mz.jpg

Edited by Southpa

i like it! the new shape is much better but i liked the old neck better.

did you use trim paint and scufffing to paint the hardware because it has a good finish

I went with the Dupli-color brand that I found on the automotive paint shelf at Cdn Tire. Thats primer, paint and clearcoat, all acrylic lacquers. If its good enough for someone's SUV then its good enough for my metal hardware. :D I should have it ready for the upcoming GOTM with more pics.

Edited by Southpa