Finishing Inlays

Simberg

• 3 months later...

I actually lay the inlay just under the surface so that whey I rub back my epoxy it has a layer over the top over the inaly.

As cSuttle mentionen above, it really brings out the color of the shell. Makes it look more three dimensional as well.

I actually lay the inlay just under the surface so that whey I rub back my epoxy it has a layer over the top over the inaly.

So you sand/buff the epoxy instead of the shell? I've never heard of any expert inlay artists doing it that way.

Doesn't seem like you'd get the best appearance out of the shell, unless you're polishing it before you inlay it. Polished shell under lacquer looks nice, but rough shell under epoxy? I'd hazard a guess that epoxy won't buff out nearly as nice as shell, either.

If you like it, great. But I wouldn't recommend that method. My $0.02 :D

Mike

DemonX's method works well, but you do need to polish the shell first, otherwise it'll look cloudy and dull. It's particularly usefull if you want to inlay large pieces on curved surfaces, and don't have very thick material to inlay.

I've tried buffing epoxy and/or superglue, but just doing the shell directly looks better, IMO. Epoxy's good at wetting things, but it doesn't buff to nearly the same shine. You have to polish the shell anyway, after all...

But yes, inlayed stuff under a finish works just fine. Look at all the inlayed headstocks done, well, ever.