New Pgm Project

I started on my new project today. A Ibanez Paul Gilbert model, which will be given away as a gift. Here is a pic of what i designed originally for my 7 string, however I decided to use it for this instead.

7stringproto.jpg

I originally intended it to be a Vai/Gilbert cross, but decided it would look to crowded with the handle and the F's. So there will be no handle on this one, just F's. Specs are as follows.

Ibanez PGM

Alder body w/ Highly Flamed maple Cap

Abalone Purfling w/ a White binding around it

Highly flamed maple Neck w/ reverse headstock

Ebony Fretboard w/ white binding

Abalone Vine

Hardtail

F's wont be painted on, they will be inlaid out of abalone shell

Not Sure of Pup's at this time, but prolly Dimarzio's or Duncan's

I got the body all cut out today, and am just waiting on maple cap, i expect the body to be capped and completely routed by the end of next weekend. Just as a side note here is a pic of the abalone i bought

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...GM/IMG_0209.jpg

I originally intended it to be a Vai/Gilbert cross, but decided it would look to crowded with the handle and the F's. So there will be no handle on this one, just F's. Specs are as follows.

I think the handle looks great and not crowded at all.

Will you be doing a flat top (for the abalone inlay) or do you intend on having a contoured arm rest?

:D

Edited by guitar2005

Welp, i just won an acution for some wood. One of these three pieces of wood will be the neck for the guitar. The other two will be necks for projects later on in life, good to be prepared :D. Now im on the mission for either a board to make my own bookmatched set or an already sawed bookmatch set piece of flamed maple.

that wood is quite nice. one day it would be awesome to have a house full of that stuff. all the trimming flamed maple. doors of solid bubinga, exotic koa floorboards. this is the **** i dream of all day at school^.^

Watch the language or you'll have 2 weeks of time to dream

Edited by Scott Rosenberger

Body got planed down today to 1 1/2 inches. Im trying to decide weather i want to use a 1/4 of maple on the front, or use 1/8 on front and back like a sandwhich. Any opinions?

I have seen amazing work done with that "Sandwich" idea. Just make sure to do a lot of contouring so you actually show off the 2 different types of wood.

Alright, well the wood for the top got here today, and the wood for the neck will be here tomarrow. Funny thing is i ordered the wood for the top 2 days after the wood for the neck and it some how beat it... Anyway, tomarrow im going to bookmatch the wood and glue it together for the top. Then friday i will cut out both front and back and glue them on the guitar. Saturday i will take the router and make both sides match the body perfect. Expect some pics fast!!!!

Welp, i just won an acution for some wood. One of these three pieces of wood will be the neck for the guitar. The other two will be necks for projects later on in life, good to be prepared :D. Now im on the mission for either a board to make my own bookmatched set or an already sawed bookmatch set piece of flamed maple.

Hey Duff,

Did you not get the flamed that you were bidding on? If not let me know I'll cut you up some of mine if needed. PM me and we'll work somthing out, I know you don't want any quilt and thats cool. I just hadn't decided to cut up the flame yet. but if you need it so be it. I guess it's time to cut it up and make it available. I 've only been sittin on it for over a year or so. LOL:)))

Mike

Welp, pic update. I didnt get as far as i wanted this week, my woodshop teacher was being uncool so i didnt get the maple cut into the shape of the body yet. I broght it home to sand the sheets flat, then hopefully depending on the weather i should have the body shape cut out and ready to glue on when i go back to school on monday. Here is pics of where i am so far.

Body

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...GM/IMG_0210.jpg

Flamed maple front: Two sheets of bootmatched maple (i will beable to get up to 6 tops out of this stuff :D)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...GM/IMG_0212.jpg

Neck Blank

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...GM/IMG_0217.jpg

Edited by Maiden69

today for the PGM i had to rerip part of the veneer cause the glue joint broke. Tomarrow im going to reglue it and also glue the scarf joint on the neck.

Why bother glueing up the veneer? You're gonna glue it to the body anyways and I doubt that it would move... Is there somekind of reasoning behind this?

:D