inlaying dots without taking out the frets

I don't know if there is a good way to level them without taking them out.. If you don't take them out, and find a way to sand them down some, won't you be on your way to a partially scalloped neck... lol.. because you obviously can't sand the wood underneath the fret... Humm.. interesting.. hopefully someone can answer this one, you got me wanting to know now.. lol

so u know how ur going to cut the inlay holes? well once u get it glued in there, just use a chisel or exacto nife to get it roughed down to the board.. then use ur radiused arbors and a jewllers file or.. mini file (well something wide enough to do the whole dot but that's very fine) to level it out. :D seems like ur only option unless u make a mini radius block to fit in between the frets and sand side to side instead of along the FB..

Take your time and work with finer tools and smaller pieces of sandpaper to level them back down.

It's a lot to do such a simple task but if your going to try and avoid removing the frets, you'll end up paying for the savings in the (time vs money) it takes to get them in right. It can be done, just seems like a hassle at time's, I've had to do it to several necks (especially maple with black dot's) when I scallop them.