Cutting Wood On "metal" Blade

verhoevenc

I do all the work that I have to do on a bandsaw in my university's metal shop. Obviously they don't like me there cause I'm doing wood work (sawdust) around all their metal working (which they use alot of oil for). Either way, I'm doing a flamed maple neck this time around and he said I was not allowed to use the university's bandsaw because maple is a hard wood and would "toast" the bandsaw blade thats on there (design for metal working).

Is this true or is he jsut looking for an excuse to keep me outta the shop with my wood?!

Chris

Metal cutting bandsaws are geared down really low compared to wood cutting saws, and the pitch ( tooth count ) is higher, as well. So, it wouldn't work well anyway. The blade would get pretty hot, and likely burn the wood. Actually, it's probably possible to even get a good fire going that way. :D

to be honest they ALSO have a side room for wood working that has a bunch of tools which are what I USUALLY use. but hte bandsaw in there isn't big enough to nicely do side neck profiles since they're like 3-4" thick cuts.... he actually TOLD me to use the big metal cutting bandsaw last time I did a neck.

Chris

How big is this saw? Would it be unreasonably expensive for you to buy your own blade? I work in a metal shop, both of our bandsaws are variable speed. If you picked up your own wood cutting blade, and put the saw on its highest speed you should have no problem.