Line 6 Toneport Vs Guitarport? Help!

Drak

Would someone like to clue me in on what the difference between these two devices are?

I'm going to buy one soon, I 'think' I need the Toneport, but for some reason I can't figure out the difference between them, even after looking at the website.

Did one come before the other, i.e. the Toneport is the new answer to the Guitarport or something?

Any other information you electronic whiz kids care to share about these products is also welcome in the Castle.

Also, if anyone knows the place with the best prices on this stuff, bring it on Hombre! :D

Thanks in advance for helping Drak get his recording thang hooked up. :D

Guitar Port came out before Toneport. Guitar Port was designed for guitar and Toneport is for guitar, bass, vocals etc. Toneport appears to be the more advanced computer based device intended for recording. Has more connectors ie ins and outs.

Basicly the toneport is more advanced with more amp models and better bundled software for recording.

After doing tons of research (I too was considering buying one of those products) I figured out that the toneport is more for recording (and you can also record vocals and bass) and the guitarport is more for playing on the computer and learning, and recording is more of a secondary function.

So for recording I would deffinitly go with toneport.

I wouldn't mind having a Toneport also, especially if you can do like the Guitarport and become a member where you can actually jam with Backing Tracks, take Lessons, etc. Speaking of Line 6, I got to take my AX2 apart again, for some reason it gets a crackling tremelo sound out of the blue, and the only way I can get it back to normal is take it apart and reconnect all the ribbons, tighten the screws that hold the mainboard down, etc. Then it will work perfect for about 6 to 8 months and then out of the blue it will happen again.. lol The bad thing is they won't sell me a schematic for it, so I might just need to get it worked on. Nah, I'll tear into it again tomorrow.. :D BTW.. it's been a great amp, it's just getting old...

p.s. Great to see you back Drak!!!

Matt Vinson

3 quick points about the TonePort:

1. If you have any interest at all of doing some recording for the next many years, just get the UX2 now. You'll want the phantom power later, if you end up getting into recording.

2. It does NOT feature GuitarPort Online-like functionality. Ie. no monthly subscription to lessons and backing tracks. Who knows if it'll happen in the future, but for now only the PODxt and GuitarPort have access to the "lesson/tracks" side of things.

3. The bundled software (Ableton Live Lite) is absolutely horrible, especially for a new recordist, and particularly for guitarists who pretty much like to go through songs in a "linear" way when they're first learning to record.

That doesn't mean I don't recommend it. Au contraire, I highly recommend it over the GuitarPort. I'm just mentioning these things because they're something to consider at the point of purchase.

Greg

I have the guitarport. I adore the noise cancelling but the sound quality no matter what is no where near 'real'. Its ok to record with a loub band. but as a solo it will be noticable. I still use the guitarport software for when I have the urge to play for 5 mins or so. Otherwise, I use my pedalbard and hook it up into the computer to use with softwared such as 'Rock amp Legends' and 'amplitube' as they sound much nicer.

I have the guitarport. I adore the noise cancelling but the sound quality no matter what is no where near 'real'. Its ok to record with a loub band. but as a solo it will be noticable. I still use the guitarport software for when I have the urge to play for 5 mins or so. Otherwise, I use my pedalbard and hook it up into the computer to use with softwared such as 'Rock amp Legends' and 'amplitube' as they sound much nicer.

You have got the newer (2.x) software, right? Because I've yet to hear a pedalboard/pure software based system that comes close to getting as good a sound as Line6's amp simulation stuff. Turn off/minimize use of the noise cancelling (which kills your dynamics and the feel somewhat), and you've got an IDEAL recording setup. OK, playing through a real amp at volume and recording via microphones will give you better tone, yes, but at a much higher price, and most of us don't have the space to get everything set up and not annoy the hell out of the neighbours.

GuitarPort over any pedalboards for me, but then I don't play High-Gain much, and I tend to go light on the effects (amp distortion, touch of reverb, and I'm peachy..I've got the Lexicon and the Rivera if I want my floor to rumble, but for recording and just noodling around at midnight, GuitarPort's the thing).

Guitar Port came out before Toneport. Guitar Port was designed for guitar and Toneport is for guitar, bass, vocals etc. Toneport appears to be the more advanced computer based device intended for recording. Has more connectors ie ins and outs.

I would agree with that, but the GuitarPort has bass sounds in it as well.

I wouldn't say the TonePort is more *advanced* just more I/O options, it acts more as a mini-mixer than the GuitarPort does. Otherwise, if you pop open the box, bet ya dollars to dognuts, the D/A converters and main board are basically the same.

In anycase, I think both are a big step in the evolution of CPU+Guitar interfacing.

Edited by Gorecki

Yes, the actual sound "technology" (modelling) of both is absolutely identical.

Regarding the tones, I have to say, I find them to be very realistic (ie. not "nowhere near") but it's just the way they're presented (through computer speakers or studio monitors rather than a 4X12 cab) that gives you the impression they're lacking. OK, obviously they're not QUITE as good as a real amp with a good room and the right mics... but pretty close.

Greg