Forum Names Causing Confusion To Newbies?

First before I start I want to thank Brian and everyone here that makes this such a great site to hang out at. In fact I'm going to donate after posting this (been meaning to do it anyway).

I like to hang out at Solid Body Guitar and Bass Chat. I have done lots of searches and few post's (26 post's) in the 11 months I have been here. I don't think I've had any conflicts with any other members yet, but I still hesitate when posting a specific question for fear of getting "yelled at". The forum (Solid Body Guitar and Bass Chat) is called "chat", and you should think you would be free to "chat", like you can in the off topics chat. Ohterwise why would you have two Solid Body Guitar and Bass forums and call one chat? After hanging out there one gets the fealing that it is maybe just alittle more formal then chat. Maybe some people assume they are free to "chat", and would rather chat then search on this forum. I'm just saying that the chat part of the title maybe is missleading. Dave

There are 2 solid body and bass guitar forums because one is references and tutorials for how to do things, if you can't find a detailed explanation of something there try the chat section.Its labelled chat because it is where you can post questions and stuff, unlike the reference section which is only supposed to include tutorials and references and specific questions about a tutorial or something. And while the one section is labelled chat I don't think it implies that you should neccesarily ask questions that have probably been answered many times before such as "how do I wire a killswitch?" The chat part i think is more for people who have specific questions that havent been adressed yet, or require more indepth advice or soemthing. So while I can understand your point of view, and some people do get kind of hostile about asking questions that have been answered many times in the past, I think that the forums are labelled appropriately.

I like to hang out at Solid Body Guitar and Bass Chat. I have done lots of searches and few post's (26 post's) in the 11 months I have been here. I don't think I've had any conflicts with any other members yet, but I still hesitate when posting a specific question for fear of getting "yelled at". The forum (Solid Body Guitar and Bass Chat) is called "chat", and you should think you would be free to "chat", like you can in the off topics chat... Dave

Hi Dave...don't worry about the occasional freak out. I think the forum labels are ok really, once you get used to the culture of the board. There are less formal sections, "put it to a vote", "off topic" and "player's corner"...but I suspect some people still miss the "slam" threads where extensive discussions about people's sexual preference from the general and the agricultural animal kingdoms...maybe that should be brought back...hmmm

Project Guitar is a kind of community which falls into a happy medium between the "i'm an expert, this is how it's done" type of thing and the fan like or commercial sites like, errr..."SRV sucks, but if he didn't suck, he'd sound like me, but only if he bought larry seymour pickups in a genuine fetzer, original flame finish, telepatheticastor custom....oh, and didn't die in a cheap attempt to outdo hendrix in the dying young schtick, (i died three times younger than him, poser) etc" type of forum.

So, don't be afraid of posting, or even being yelled at, and thanks for posting this so that people can see how you feel. In general it is a fantastic resource and community for the guitar obsessed, but in the end is just some obscure forum for guitar geeks. But, hey, better to aspire to GOTM on some obscure internet forum like this, than taking it out on the streets and accosting innocent passersby about the 3D flame on the park bench while you feed the ducks...hmmmm

pete

My main beef is people posting stuff in the "In Progress and Finished" chat. We need to re-name it to "Completed and Fully Chronicled Works"

So you don't get poeple who ask about actual "finishing" in there cause they see the word "finished" and don't think. Or also the people that every day make a new design and post it in the FINISHED and IN PROGRESS section because, hey, technically a design is in progress. But they post a billion, and NEVER do them?!

Chris

If people cannot read or navigate the internet probably, then they should get another cup of coffee :D. I have posted maybe once or twice in the wrong forum, but that's why we have Mods to switch them. All you have to do is report it.

Lisa: If there was no police, who would police the police?!

Homer: I dunno. Coast Guard?

rofl!

-Jamie