Meu X2

Here's just a teaser of what I've got in the pipeline build wise. The original Meu is still drying, expected DOA is mid April once the Nitro cures. Meanswhile I've had spring break so I started on the next TWO builds. All the work you see below was done over my 10 days of spring break, which I think is pretty intensely productive. Unlike the original MeuX E these are not semi-hollow, the "Mustang Meu" is full solid Pacific alder with mahagany neck and ebony fretboard. The spalt top is a chambered body, with an f-hole over the largest chamber (although it's only large enough to accomodate the f-hole and therefore I don't think can be considered a semi hollow) and is spalted maple/purpleheart laminate top (1/8" each) where the round-overed edge blends them so you can see the purpleheart from the front, with a black limba back, flamed maple neck with maple fretboard and matching purpleheart recon stone fret markers.

2buildsteaser.jpg

And yes, I know the dots on the maple neck need more sanding to get rid of the superglue marks.

Here is a link to what the Mustang Meu WILL look like, it's hard to envission what it'll become from the pic of the bare wood body and neck.

Chris

PS: Oh yeah, both these bodies are a whole half inch off each edge, ie: a whole inch narrower than the original meu model.

is the meu mustang going to be carved, like a real mustang, or just have the white accents painted on? if you do carve out the middle and have the scoop...good luck keeping the paint in any sort of condition while playing.

otherwise...very cool. i like the look of the spalted one(at least, what i can see of it). not so much a fan of the mustang, but i still think both will look good.

mustang

my favourite car ever

i've seen loads when i was in america,but never seen one on the road in scotland,but theres one near my college at a car showroom,under 20 thousand...i hope its there in 5 years time lol

any way

that mustang guitar is looking good,especially with the scoop

Didn't you post that Mustang guitar idea a while back? I remember seeing that before somewhere. Either way, I really dig it.

That said, have you considered moving the carve just enough that the bridge could siton the higher portion of the body behind the carved part? It'd allow you to do a deeper carve without having to worry about string clearance issues, etc. I'm not sure how it'd look, but it seems to me it might allow you to really go the distance with this design.

Whatever you do, I'm sure I'll love it. It reminds me of those SoCal Strats, except a lot cooler. :D

[edit] Aw, what the hey. Since fiddling with guitar designs totally beats studying calculus, I did a mockup of where I'd go with this design; I shifted the accent carve toward the neck so the bridge could sit behind it, and changed the humbuckers to P-90's. Why the pickup change? I'm not quite sure. It just seemed to fit the vintage look a little better in my mind.

MeuP90.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by skibum5545

Yeah I did post it awhile back as a concept guitar. But that's when I thought I'd never actually do it, and now I am, which is really exciting. I'll look into getting more comprehensive pictures later, it's just that with the original meu guitar I posted a bunch of pics at alot of steps and I felt people jsut kinda got tired of it after awhile?? SO I didn't wanna ruin these like that. Either way, I really like the idea of the white P90s to match the white stripes, however as for the carve moving I'm not a huge fan, the main reason I did it the way I did in the first place was a LOVED how the white lines almost mimiced the baby grande (I plan to make them parallel, etc.) and I jsut can't with a full concious stray from that because that was what brought the whole idea together in the begining for me.

Come to think of it, I already do have a couple pictures up that I was showing garehan with, here's the link to the album (most are from earlier build times than what you're seeing in the first pic, but it'll show a little more for fun).

http://albums.photojerk.com/?uid=16735&gid=2226

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, here's an update, I've done the fretboard radiusing on both necks, almost done shaping the necks, and I've gone ahead and routed the pocket for one of the guitars' neck, here's a pic:

n10603720_30540634_2508.jpg

There's the front, back, and a closeup[ of the neck joint so you can see the start of the heel contour and the flame on the maple neck.

Sorry I've been working so slowly, but it's aorund exma/final projects time so yeah... that's why.

Chris

Looking good .I like the concept very much.Stick with the first design, The Humbucker are better than the P90 as they add a bit of chrome to the look. Have you thought of adding the headlight curve to the headstock?

The design uses the baby grande to good effect.I have been wanting to use that bridge for a while but have not found the right project. The mustang inlay is cool, I would have used that and no other position markers. If you realy wanted position markers how about mini horse shoes.!

How about an STP sticker for retro effect or the double checkered flag emblem.

More pics please.. :D

The mustang doesn't have any other position markers??? The neck is staying just like that. And yeah, I did the mustang myself. It was my second inlay ever so I'm pretty hapy with how it turned out. I mean the router pocket wasn't PERFECT and I didn't have black epoxy at the time, only CA, so if you get really close you can see SOME mistake, but go a foot away and it all disappears. Yeah, I'm gunna be doing some heavy working this weekend hopefully on both the guitar so I'll try and get some more up soon.

Chris

As per request, and because I actually got around to doing it today, here's a pic of the same format as last time, but with the mustang guitar. Shows front and back and upclose of the start of the heel contour witht he neck in the newly routed pocket, but not glued... just in it. Still got some work to do with the fretboard, etc. before I can glue anything in place.

n10603720_30546227_1176.jpg

Yeah, enjoy. If you wanna see anything specific just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Thirdstone, I like the idea of the headstock, well from the sound of it atleast, but I'm not exactly sure about how to go about doing that to the right effect. Wanna help me out with a sketch of what exactly you had in mind???

Chris

Edit later on that day: So I've finished the heel carves on both of them, I'll be doing the fretboard sanding (final) and fretting next, which will be soon I hope.

If anyone is wondering, I don't know which pickups will be going in these, but I do have this in mind:

Mustang: Classic LP sound, like SD JB and Jazz maybe (chromed out), and it'll be wired with one tone, one volume, (each a push-pull to tap one of the humbuckers) and a 3 way mini switch.

Spalt/Purpleheart: Darker, heavier, or more aggressive sound atleast, thinking MAYBE Dimarzio evolutions out of a JEM. Black plastic covers to go with the all black hardware. Wired with a 3 way mini switch, individual concentric volume/variable coil split for each pickup, as well as a shared tone and a 3 way kill switch live on the both sides, off in the center.

For those of you still following I fretted the necks today, the heel carves are done, all I needa do is drill the tuner holes, clip the fret ends, dress, etc. the frets and then they'll be getting attached to the bodies (IE: soon)

n10603720_30551705_7101.jpg

Oh yeah, and MAN was that ebony so much harder to fret than the maple.... you really had to push that fret caul down HARD to get those all the way in! Felt like I was gunna break my crummy Ryobi drill press hahahaha

Chris

For those of you still following

I'm still following! I want to see how these turn out. Looking great so far!

The headstock on this guitar's actual not that pictured in the mock-up, it's more of a Gibson open book... hahaha but I just realised you can see that in the neck pics anyways hahahaha. Eitherway, I really LOVE that headstock idea! Pretty sure I'm gunna go with it! Thanks a bunch man!

Chris

Ok, so more on the spalt top. I was getting some grain-filling and plasticizing done for the Black Limba and the Spalt (respectively) and the epoxy gave it that nice wet look that shows off the grain. So I thought I'd give ya'll a peek at that (however when I took the actual pictures it didn't show it off very well cause my digital camera is getting old and doesn't focus 100% well, and the flash made the light bounce off the uneven epoxy surfaces... but yeah, I decided to show ya'll anyways).

spalttoppop.jpg

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

The cut-away is actually very shallow. It's only about 1/8" and with the baby grand being 1/2" high at it LOWEST setting there's gunna be NO problem with string access :D

As for air guitar.... I've found the highest frets are a little difficult to access and therefore have to find some way to maybe carve a bit on the lower horn without ruinging the look of the cutaway. Essentially I have to make a choice of 'better form' versus 'better function'.

Chris

I'm following too, and I'm really liking what I see!

It seems like it'd look really cool if the white accent line were raised above the surface of the -rest- of the guitar too, if only by 1/32" or so. Obviously this would entail quite a bit of routing or planing or whatever, but the added 3-d effect would be pretty stunning.

As for fret acces, you could probably get away with a PRS-esque carve in the lower cutaway (beveled without changing the overall outline of the guitar) and not ruin the look of the guitar.

All in all, this thing is looking pretty awesome! Verhoevenc, putting good ol' American muscle back into guitars--one guitar at a time. :D:D