Guitar Of The Month Discussion

Well, what are people's thoughts on the number of entries though?

It seems to me that when there are this many entries, the voting gets way too dissipated --even 10 guitars is a lot.

Still, if there's an easy way to 'fix' the poll so that all entries are in the same category then I vote for a re-vote. That is, abort this contest before it's too late and run it again the 'right' way.

Ten? What software genius decided that? Its not even 2 to any integer power...

Maybe dig through the code, find the little "10" and put a zero after it.....???

With >5k members, it was bound to happen.

That should be a configuration in the Admin panel, 10's usually just the default. :D

That's what i'd be thinking, too... Having adminstrated a forums, most stuff like this is moddable in the config panel!!

EDIT: Yep, I've just checked... In the Admin panel, go to General Admin --> Configuration and it's under "User and Forum Basic Settings" (Max number of poll options)

I thought so! :D

As the current leader in the polls i suppose i should at least give my opinion.

Its clear that not everybody is happy with the way the system is working this month and if i am going to win i would rather it was in a fair fight that everybody was happy with.

We seem to be stuck with two ideas, either restart the poll altogther or enter a playoff situation.

My personal preference would be a kind of playoff. I think we should stop the vote now and put the top two guitars from each category into a new vote. I think that shoud appease most of the complaints we have heard in these discussions.

Either way i will be happier than if i won unfairly.

Can i also thank everbody who did vote for my guitar already, i hope i would have at least got some of them anyway

Hi folks, found the place to change the number of entry's in the Admin panel, mines different then what was spelled out but the job is done.

I closed the first poll and started a new one which you can go here to vote.

1 vote per poll and up to 30 entry's now.

Oh and Yes the forum software is up to date for those wondering..........

Folk,

When I look at the GOTM, I see the “showcase” aspect as being the quintessential element.

The “contest” part never seems to have a great deal of validity as it inevitably tries to compare totally different types of entries from equally different types of builders.

The one thing that I see that makes it worthwhile is that it is generally seen as a “just for the fun of it” kind of proposition and that no one should really care who “wins” each month.

In light of the growing number of members on the board and the subsequent growth in entries, it might be better to find a way to enhance the showcase aspect and modify the contest part to compare similar builders / guitars.

My idea would be to add a “Featured Guitars” page with one or more guitars from each of the following categories shown.

Professional

From Scratch

From parts

Modified

Rebuilt / Restored

Novelty

The guitars displayed would then be rotated on a random and regular basis so everyone who submitted an entry gets a chance to have their work shown.

Then as a contest, there could be a “Guitars of the Year” picked from each of the categories, say picking the top two guitars in each category as “winners”.

This would then result in the same amount of winners as with the GOTM and would be a much more valid comparison of the entries.

For what it’s worth,

d ward