Black Epoxy

Hey, I was wondering, how do ya'll go about getting your black epoxy? Is the only option to order from Stewmac or LMII already black or can you just go to ACE and get the regular old Devcon 30 minute and use some sort of pigment to make it black? I was at an art supply store the other day and couldn't help but wonder which pigments would work for said application? Cause I'm guessing there's some pigments you wouldn't wanna use cause it might mess with the hardening? or later mess up the type of finish you spray on top later?

Anyone know what types of dye work? Types of pigments (acrylic pigment?)?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

I ordered a small bottle from DePaule. It lasts a LONG time, and was just a couple bucks. Order it from them. It will give you a good excuse to buy some of their killer shell at the same time.

BTW: The stuff I use is pretty thick. It has about the same consistency as freshly mixed epoxy, but I couldn't tell you what type of dye it is.

Peace,Rich

Chris,

I ordered a small bottle from DePaule. It lasts a LONG time, and was just a couple bucks. Order it from them. It will give you a good excuse to buy some of their killer shell at the same time.

BTW: The stuff I use is pretty thick. It has about the same consistency as freshly mixed epoxy, but I couldn't tell you what type of dye it is.

Peace,Rich

Thanks a BUNCH man, I had TOTALLY forgotten about his site! I just went a bought the bottle... and like you said I couldn't resist, so I bought another whole ounze of Pink MOP (GORGIOUS SUTFF! and for SO cheap compaired to the rest!) and his $40 sampler pack.... inlay may just be more addicting than actual guitar building.... oh dear god....!

Chris

PS: What is up with the new way the forum is!? you click on a thread and see the first post and then you gotta click on other little links to see all the replies?!

Chris,

Peace,Rich

Good tip, I forgot they sold that.

There are many many different kinds of pigments you can use with epoxy.

I generally use Tints-All, but also have used Createx products, both would be found in your art supply store.

Buying black will work, but when you mix your own, you can mix any color under the rainbow for your epoxy.

Edit: I'm guessing whatever Gar bought worked for him, but I doubt it's graphite in origin, I would never use any graphite product in my finishing products, very bad vibes there.

I just assumed that's what it was. I could be wrong; it's happened[many times] before.

EDIT: I just took a look at stewmac. I don't know what it actually is, but here's a link. It might actually be just sawdust. I'm sure they make plenty of fine ebony and rosewood sawdust when they slot their fretboards.

peace,

russ

I recently used regular black testors model paint with success. I started with the 2 part epoxy from home depot thats already dark grey added some black and some acetone to thin it down and it worked great. I have the piece of wood I filled sitting right here and that was atleast 2 months ago and its in open air and no sight of color change whatsoever.

MzI