DV6

Well I'm finally working here in Seoul on my next guitar... still undecided on the shape, but looks like an SG (since there seems to me a craze for those lately!!!) but it can change to a PRS type so, hold on... if Icould only get a LP double cut template here before saturday!!!

I'm making the neck for this one (another first), I already have it ready with the fingerboard (rosewood) attached, and a 12 degree angle, this will have a PRS style headstock, 24 frets, and 25.5 scale.

The body wood is merbau, I played o few of Hyunsu's guitar here and it has a nice tone and feel and needs no finish (a plus for me right now) the body is going to be maple ( the one available here is soft, some has figure, but if not it will have a solid color finish.

Pics should be available this saturday, since I left my camera at home sunday when we started the neck. This is the first time for me working with hand tools and Hyunsu has been a good teacher, I think that I will buy a few of this planes and spokeshaves to have at my house... these were the tools that my family used for years and I'm mad that they were sold before I could get my hands on them... I'm so use to have power tools now that I forget the satisfaction of doing something with my own hands. I will see if I can upload some of Hyunsu's stuff, he has so much bodys here that he has made!!!

Well till next weekend!

One more day on this project. Today we made the neck, but I didn't measure correctly for the rod and the rout peek out on the 2nd fret! Anyway, I think I needed the practice... the new neck is on the way! Already cut rod installed and fingerboard attached. I think this time around it will be better!

Here are some pics from what we have done.

DSC02375.jpg

Here is the neck before any shaping was done! I don't have any of the ones finished, just because it was late and I was running to get the other neck ready with Hyunsu.

Here are some pics of me and Hyunsu taking turns (or better said, him teaching me how to use hand tools) on the old neck.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC02382.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC02380.jpg

The body is already cut to shape, but no work will be done until the neck is finished, since this will be a set neck.

More later!

OK, I finally got up! Let me tell you, I have done a few guitars but this neck wear me out! I have never used manual tools before, everything has been done with some sort of power tool except for the final sanding stage.

I have worked here with everything but 2 power tools, a router for the truss rod channel and a jigsaw for the rough cutting of the neck.

Hyunsu got 5 templates from Rodney, and most of them, especially the neck ones, he only uses to out line the shape, then he hand carve everything.

I was really impressed at his work and attention to detail! Very picky!

And I finaly agree with Perry about the shaping with a spokeshave, he rough shaped a neck contour in less than 5 min. There is a lot of tools now on my to get list, spokeshave, No.5 plane, carving knifes, too much to list, ... (I will still work with power tools (since they are a time saver, especialy when you are paying to use a shop) but I think that there will be a place for those tools from now on ...

Also, anybody here from Huntsville, Alabama??? Hyunsu will be there May, Jun and July on a project from his company and will like to hook up with someone else from the board to build guitars!!!

Edited by Maiden69

I'm so tired!!! Here is the update for today!

Here is the neck finished, just the tuner holes left to do.

DSC02396.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC02385.jpg

There you can see the little problem we had with the rod channel, but that will be covered since I'm painting it completely!

Some pics of the fretting

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC02390.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC02392.jpg

And my first volute.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC02386.jpg

The new neck is on the way, but since Hyunsu is leaving to Alabama in 2 weeks, and all I got is saturday and sunday to work there, I will take it to US and use it on my next guitar!

The guitar is sittin now with the neck attached, some more routing and shapping left, nad then to seal it, this one will be painted once it is back in TX.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC02397.jpg

Till next week here!

MAN!!! this thing is looking great :D And man I know what you mean about the hand tools Ive been trying A few and so far my fav has the be the spokeshave!

I cant wait to see this one finished

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Maiden69 have really good talent.

fist time . fretting.. but very nice fretting..

i envy his talent..

this week is last working .. and talk many thing together. it's fun.

i show his guitar. good finish..

i am sorrow this week is last work..

Maiden69 is good man.. ^^

Awesome Maiden! I remember my days in Yongsan. I was interested in building back then but I couldn't find any places to pull it off. There used to be a craft shop in the same building where the bus stop is(on main post), but I bet it's long gone by now. Great progress man!!!

Awesome Maiden! I remember my days in Yongsan. I was interested in building back then but I couldn't find any places to pull it off. There used to be a craft shop in the same building where the bus stop is(on main post), but I bet it's long gone by now. Great progress man!!!

Yes there is one here but not oo good. I might have to use it since Hyunsu is going to the states soon.

Thanks everybody for the words... I'm not used to take this long on a guitar, but I'm able to work only on the weekends, and like Hyunsu said, this will be the last one!!!

Till then

I can't remember how to spell it, but have you been to nak wam market? That place was like a big paradise for any guitarist or builder. You could get anything there for a guitar. Couldn't tell you if they were the real deal, but they had all kinds of Jems and Soloists. So did you use planes and spokeshaves to shape the neck?

Yesterday was my last day working with Hyunsu, since he is leaving next friday... Here is the guitar as of now.

DSC02402.jpg

back

So far all shaping has been done, just final sanding and straightening of the lines and all should be good, also waiting for the Stew MAc parts to get here!!!

Till next time....