Problem: Removing A Block Of Wood

I have a problem: I just glued the headstock piece onto the larger piece for my neck. I used two blocks of wood between the clamps and the neck in order to prevent denting/damage. One block came off easily, but the other is stuck on. Can anyone tell me how to get it off easily? I'm thinking about chiseling on a part that I won't use. I will also be putting a veneer on top of the headstock, but I need this block removed!

Here are pictures of the neck with the block. I guess I could also sand it off.. but that would take awhile.

DSC01494.jpg

DSC01493.jpg

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks,

Matt

pulling it off will result in headstock wood

cause no matte what you do,nothing will break that bond

so it looks like you will need to rout all that excess block off,and then sand the rest of the way down and it will eventually disapear

unlucky man:(

next time make sure theres some acrylic or metal between the glue and clamping material

edit:free ham!!!

Edited by whitey

I have a problem: I just glued the headstock piece onto the larger piece for my neck. I used two blocks of wood between the clamps and the neck in order to prevent denting/damage. One block came off easily, but the other is stuck on. Can anyone tell me how to get it off easily? I'm thinking about chiseling on a part that I won't use. I will also be putting a veneer on top of the headstock, but I need this block removed!

Here are pictures of the neck with the block. I guess I could also sand it off.. but that would take awhile.

DSC01494.jpg

DSC01493.jpg

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks,

Matt

what type glue didyou use? It looks like squeeze out at the scarf joint. may be very small amout dpending on your glue method. Try and slowly place a chisel from the side of the scarf to lift the piece. Depending on the glue maybe ass heat from a heat gun. Do this ASAP. as the longer it sits the better the bond. If it appears to start tearing ay wood from the headstock STOP!!!!!! then set up a jig and remove witha router and final sand.

MK

Thanks. I figure, though it'll be a huge pain in the ass, I'll probably use heat if I can't chisel it after the weekend. I'm just hoping I won't mess up the joint directly below it that I had intended to make.

Thanks again,

Matt

I'd trim that off with a handsaw, and plane/scrape the rest down to thickness. Honestly, I wouldn't want to introduce heat or moisture into the area where you've just glued up your scarf joint. Just..no.

Also, tip: cover all your clamping cauls with packing/parcel tape (clear stuff works well). Most glues won't stick to it at all, even superglue won't adhere to most of it (test first). Less messy than kraft paper and such, and faster to clean up.