G00ey's First Bass

hi everyone! this is my first post/thread. it's gonna be about my first bass guitar. i'm building it for an english project for school (it's a long story). i've been using my school's woodshop to get all my work done. so far i have gotten as far as cutting out the body and sanding the forearm contour. i've started on the belly contour, too. i was gonna start on the neck pocket but we didn't have the available wrenches to use the square drill press and set it to the right depth.

Picture.jpg

click

click

click

click

click

click

click

click

as you can see i ran into some issues with gluing. i'll be filling those cracks with most likely wood dust and glue.

i'm taking a neck from an Ibanez GSR200, as well as the electronics and hardware.

22 fret

34" scale

PJ passive configuration

poplar/pine body

what kinda finish do you think i should do? i originally wanted an oil finish so i wouldn't have to worry as much about dings (especially since the pine is very soft), but now i kinda wanna do a burst finish (greenburst?) and i've already read the tutorial that is posted here.

comments and criticism welcome!

Edited by g00eY

The pine looks funky!

I like the design

Edited by Ben

yea, i was on a really tight budget, and when i bought the wood it was kinda a long story. i bought the wood from Home Depot. i really like the poplar grain i got. i had to shift through like 20 boards to find a nice one. i'm guessing i'll need a neck plate for that pine.

the reason i want a burst is cuz honestly the pine is kinda ugly, but the poplar is awesome. but then again i want oil/natural because of its ability to hide dings a little better. i'm torn :D ...

but yea, i'm glad you guys like the design. i believe it took me like 4 weeks to find one i was happy with.

First off, very nice design, I think you did a great job on that. I don't mean to sound critical, but Home Depot's not a good source for guitar tonewood. I'm with mattia, go ahead and finish this one with a solid finish, because you don't want the grain to show, especially on the back, then later build you another bass out of some good wood. I'm not saying your wood isn't good, but not for a transparent finish.

yea i was having a lot of trouble finding wood. since it is my first project i just decided i should start with something cheap just in case. what is a good place to buy wood? i know there is a lumber yard near where i live (it has a gigantic 8 in a ball as the logo, i only say this cuz i believe i've seen it in other states as well) and some Woodcrafts around here. then there is always ebay.

You could always do just a burst on the front, with transparent color on the front of the guitar, and solid edges and back - it could look pretty good!

When you're looking for electric guitar wood, you generally want hardwood that has been dried to stable moisture conditions (air or kiln dried). This is important - ask to make sure the wood is dried. Pretty much every wood there is has been used before, but popular ones that are readily available and not too expensive are alder, ash, basswood, and mahogany. Try looking in the phonebook for places that specifically say they sell hardwoods or furniture lumber - a lumber yard that sells wood primarily for construction may not have what you need. There should be plenty of places around Chicago that'll do for it.

One problem with going the lumberyard route is that you sometimes have to buy entire boards that can be pretty large - it doesn't often come in guitar-sized pieces :D. Woodcraft is ok, but you'll run into the same problems there, along with a relatively small selection.

Edited by jnewman