Looking For Builder (electric Guitar) For 3-year-old Hand

• 4 weeks later...

I figured I'd post a few pics since I have them on my pc. Here you'll see the body after getting a color coat of dark purple. This will be followed by a white grainfiller and, of course, clear coats. The neck is shown right after the vinyl sealer was layed down. That has since been scuff sanded and will get cleared along with the body.

th_051.jpgth_finishtake1b006.jpgth_finishtake1b007.jpg

peace,

russ

I figured I'd post a few pics since I have them on my pc. Here you'll see the body after getting a color coat of dark purple. This will be followed by a white grainfiller and, of course, clear coats. The neck is shown right after the vinyl sealer was layed down. That has since been scuff sanded and will get cleared along with the body.

th_051.jpgth_finishtake1b006.jpgth_finishtake1b007.jpg

peace,

russ

Russ is doing a fantastic job! I cannot wiat to see the finished product!

This kid's going to have a nicer guitar than I do!

No Fair.

When I was three I probably didn't even know what a guitar was

Edited by Ben

Never too early to start a kid! I started at four with those mini-classical guitars.. make sure you don't push him too hard. The main thing you learn before you get to be six or seven is only the feel of playing a guitar.. it might sound bad, but they are learning.

That guitar looks excellent, I really like the wood on the back of the headstock. That thing will be a blast to play even when he outgrows it.

I grew up with a kid who started playing violin at three and was one of the most well-adjusted, normal kids I knew. He was a virtuoso by eleven. Hell, most parents just sit their kids in front of the damn TV playing the 360 and eating twinkies, so I think having a little guitar built up for the kid that he can use until he's at least eight or nine is a great idea.

Besides, garehan's a college student. Better building axe's during the summer than working on roofs.

• 2 weeks later...

So I sprayed the clear today. Unfortunately, this revealed that the purple base coat was a bit splotchy in areas. This must have happened when I was sanding away excess white filler. I'll be stripping it down to bare wood in the days to come and starting the process again, this time taking extra care to remove as much filler as possible before allowing it to dry. Anyhow, here are some pics of it in its current state so that you can get an idea of what I'm aiming for. Overall, it's right on what I was shooting for, but that blotchy purple base coat just kills it for me. It's not nearly as obvious in the photos as it is in person in daylight. I figured some of the beginning builders on the forum would appreciate seeing that even the more experienced among us(realtively speaking, of course) make mistakes.

th__027.jpgth__025.jpg

th__023.jpgth__021.jpg

peace,

russ

Unlucky with the blotchiness.

The photos look really great.

• 4 weeks later...

It really does look great. Love the finish.

Do you have any pics of it next to a person or a regular guitar to give a better indidcation of how small it is?

I wish I had something like this when I was 3!

(and BTW the link on the 1st thumbnail isnt working)

Cheers for the photos, its even smaller than I would have guessed!

I wouldnt mind something like that for myself! :D

Wow, that is so cool. Great craftman ship. I have some small guitars that are just for art laying around my desk. BUt something like that would be 10x cooler. even tho i know for a fact my hands are to big to even fret it. I wish i would of started to learn to play when i was 3. The guitar could of kept me out of a lot of trouble as a teen. heh. O well never to late to start.

Once again. Great guitar. and it sure looks like it was a challenege you took and did very well at completeing it. I give it a 10+

chris.