Crowing File, New?

tasty

For the last guitar I tried a safeground saw file - the little triangular fellas for sharpening saw blades, with one edge ground smooth. I liked it much more than the crowning file I'd been using before, it's much easier to control exactly where the crown ends up. You do need a little more care to avoid marking the fretboard, but a bit of masking tape makes it pretty easy to avoid any marks.

Ihave two stew mac files. #1 is http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_suppl..._Fret_File.html

wide med file. I used it on two frets and I didn't like the chater of the file so I bought the diamond file

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_suppl...Fret_Files.html. :D I love the diamond file very smoth. I will sell the other since I don't use it if you are interested for $25.00

Anyway thats my take on the issue. :D

Mike

For the last guitar I tried a safeground saw file - the little triangular fellas for sharpening saw blades, with one edge ground smooth. I liked it much more than the crowning file I'd been using before, it's much easier to control exactly where the crown ends up. You do need a little more care to avoid marking the fretboard, but a bit of masking tape makes it pretty easy to avoid any marks.

The one with all sides equal, or the 'cant saw' file that has 2 equal sides, then one side is a little wider than the other 2 ?

Just curious, 'cause I've been using a large cant saw file for a while, and I'm going to try to find a smaller size one. I only paid 1 Euro for the large one. Won't get lucky like that again.

Frank Ford seems to only use the cant saw file for crowning frets.

I used the file with the three-interchangable files on the little handle with the wooden palm grip. I liked it, but I ended up getting the Stew-mac offset diamond file that rsguitar links too above in the thread - I have to say, I love it. It is a little wierd, it doesn't "feel" like you're filing sometimes, until you look at the fret. the offset of it makes it nice if you're frets took more leveling in some spots that others, to just crown a bit on one end or a bit of the fret. I love 'em.