Plastic Humbucker Covers/tops

Sobot

I changed a pickup in my Les Paul, and it's a Zebra Seymour Duncan...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v215/Sob...nt=P1010031.jpg

My question is, if I bought another pickup, the exact same one, just in reverse Zebra, could I pull the cream plastic piece off that and replace that black one and have a cream coloured JB? How possible is that? I'd then put the black with the black and use it on a different guitar...

Thanks.

You can send the pickup back to Duncan and they'll replace the black coil with a cream one, too. I'm not sure how much it costs, so you'll have to contact them to find out.

Bobbin toppers are kind of a kludge. Especially when a string pries them up and they get all funky.

BTW, nice Latte Burst. I almost bought one last year but didn't have the money in time. I think they're going to be a sought-after guitar in the future because they're not a very popular color right now. Very cool and subtle beauty to that color scheme, in my opinion.

Edited by crafty

yeah, thanks guys. I don't think I'll do it... too much work.

Yes, latte was my favourite colour... rare too. The pic of it on the Gibson site makes it look very ugly too... I've only seen one of these, I wonder what the other latte's look like.

Sobot,

I don't think you can get a cream-coloured Duncan anyhow, only white. I actually HAVE a white JB here, used, uninstalled, but it has a few minor cosmetic flaws on it. I shouldn't say "here" because it's at my father's house (I use his workshop), but instantly available. I'd also have to check the length of the lead, but it seems to me that there was a decent amount left.

I'd happily swap with you if you didn't mind the ding on it, but it wouldn't make sense for me to pay the cost of the shipping to do so. And depending on where in the world you are, it probably wouldn't be worth it for you to do so, either. But it's an one option among many.

At the end of the day, the colour is irrelevant to me since it's getting covered by nickel covers.

Greg

Sobot,

I don't think you can get a cream-coloured Duncan anyhow, only white. I actually HAVE a white JB here, used, uninstalled, but it has a few minor cosmetic flaws on it. I shouldn't say "here" because it's at my father's house (I use his workshop), but instantly available. I'd also have to check the length of the lead, but it seems to me that there was a decent amount left.

I'd happily swap with you if you didn't mind the ding on it, but it wouldn't make sense for me to pay the cost of the shipping to do so. And depending on where in the world you are, it probably wouldn't be worth it for you to do so, either. But it's an one option among many.

At the end of the day, the colour is irrelevant to me since it's getting covered by nickel covers.

Greg

yes, the problem is I'd want cream. White would look very out of place on my guitar. I'm thinking of just getting another zebra pickup for the other one... but I'd get reverse zebra so they don't do that symmetrical thing... they would both be going in the same direction. I don't know if that would make it look better or not....

If you had a cream JB, which don't exist, I'd gladly pay for shipping... I'm in Burlington Ontario... but it's white, thanks for the offer anyways. :D

and yeah, I would think it would be pretty pricey to switch a whole bobbin, but it would be cool to probably be the only person to have a cream JB.

You wouldn't be the only person to have a cream JB. They actually build them all the time as "Floor Customs". You see, DiMarzio has trademarked the "double-cream" bobbin configuration and won't let anyone else market it through regular channels. Duncan gets around this by building the pickup with double-cream bobbins, potting it, then attaching a chrome cover to it with the smallest amount of solder necessary to hold it on during shipment to the customer. Customer receives it and takes the cover off to find two cream coils. :D

If you already have a JB and just want the black side replaced with a cream side, I can't imagine it costing more than the retail price of a new zebra JB. It would probably be considered a "repair" and not subject to DiMarzio's rules.

Give 'em a call and check it out.

Just an opinion: the way you're thinking of doing the zebras almost inevitably ends up looking silly. I think the symmetrical thing is best.

Just an opinion: the way you're thinking of doing the zebras almost inevitably ends up looking silly. I think the symmetrical thing is best.

yeah?

I've just never seen it... so maybe it would look weird...

I'm still tinking it would look cool all cream and then the other chrome... the uneven look... but right now I don't mind it, it's just a bit too uneven if you know what I mean.

I sent an email to seymour duncan (website), if I don't get reply, I'll call.

I think the double-cream would look very cool with the Latte Cream finish on the guitar. I'm normally a nickel-cover kind of guy with LPs, but that would look neat on that axe.

If you kept the packaging for the pickup you have, I think Duncan's phone number is somewhere in the instructions.

I'm still tinking it would look cool all cream and then the other chrome... the uneven look... but right now I don't mind it, it's just a bit too uneven if you know what I mean.

Yup, I think your original idea of one cream and one chrome is pretty great. I think it'd look spectacular. My plea for symmetry ONLY applies to pairing up 2 zebra pickups. When they're both aligned the same way (cream colour closest to bridge for both) it looks wacky, IMO. Strictly my opinion, mind you. Others may disagree. :D

Greg