What is your favorite-sanding sealer

DaveK

I know we have covered this subject before, but I couldn't find anything in the "search"

I am nearing completion of a VERY COOL artist model guitar that was never offered to the public!!

The body is done & I am preping it for a one of a kind paint job.

In order for me to use the paint that I want, the body must be as close to being sealed as possable

The body is Alder..

With that in mind, what is the best & most user friendly sealer that you know of?

Thanks to all & I promise to post this beauty upon completion!

Dave

I'm not sure I get mine at Lowes and sometimes over at Walmart, I have to travel down to Cocoa to go to Home Depot

The Lowes near me has Deft lacquer and sanding sealer. The WalMart only has a few cans of the spray Lacquer.

HomeDepot only carries Rustoleum which as we all know is manufactured by Mephistopheles. Evil stuff.

Sooooo......

What kind of paint is it anyway, and what's the special deal with having to have the body sealed?

Details please.

PS, my favorite sealer is CYA (super glue) Hot Stuff wiped on (in) with a playing card.

You can bring the body to a completely hard dead-flat surface that will not settle into the grain later on.

I've never found anything else that dries as brick-hard and crystal clear as CYA.

I mean, sanding sealer has soap in it for chrissakes!

Me no want no steenkin' Soap in me finishes! :D

Also, pretty much anything else I can put a fingernail into. CYA dries as hard as freakin' stone, and it's my favorite sealer. Actually it's my only sealer, I don't use anything else if I need something to seal.

Generally I just use whatever I'm finishing with from the get-go 1st coat, and use the CYA if I need to harden some soft or punky wood, like Spalted or Redwood or something like that.

So really, my favorite sealer (what I always use) is the finish itself. Straight lacquer usually...a great sealer.

Sure.

Made by Satellite City.

CA = cyanoacrylate adhesive

Hot Stuff is the red label (runny)

Super T is the yellow label (medium viscosity, my favorite)

Special T is the green label (thick, gel-like, gap filling abilities)

I also will use NCF Hot, which is an accellerant. You spritz a shot of this stuff on CA and it dries -instantly-. But not always crystal-clear. I don't use the accellerant if I'm using it to seal.

Stew-Mac should have it in their catalog.

PS, Brian is right. I use eye-goggles and respirator when applying it as a sealer coat, the fumes (for about 2 minutes) will knock you on yer ass and burn yer eyeballs silly!