Drak's Junior V

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just sick to death of quilted and flame maple, period. I'd LOOooove to see this with a different graphic approach.

(ironically, though, I'm thinking of a project with a subtle flamed maple... so it's not right out the window for me, but it's just kind of overdone)

OK, I'll spill the beans.

White. Pure white.

White body, white neck, I was even thinking about shooting some really thinned down white on the fretboard, enough to tint it white, but not so much you can't see the position markers. I think that would be pretty cool.

Pickups, I was thinking about using either a pair of EMG P-85's, or a P-81/P-85, or maybe a set of minihumbuckers, pkps will either be black (EMG's) or gold plated covers (mini-hums) I think, still thinking it over, but it will be white indeed. The P- pickups are P-90 shaped EMG's, I think it would be rather neat, I've never seen anyone use them before, and they only come in black.

Probably no graphics, I tend to not do anything that will 'mark' a guitar as 'this' or 'that', and a graphic, no matter what it might be, would give it a stamp of some sort that I probably wouldn't want.

And if I use black pkps, then black hardware. If I use gold covers, then gold hardware.

A wee little black (or gold!) pinstripe accenting the shape (ie. just near the edges) might not count as a full-on "graphic" but that's what I had in mind.

Pinstripes, or stripes in general, are not out of the question yet, I was considering that too. But they will be black. :D

So it seems to be universally accepted that that finish looks like a tosser, no one has said anything positive about it, and I don't like it either, especially with a Maple neck. I knew I had my work cut out for me to make a V with a Maple neck that looked good, it is a challenge.

I'll tell you, quilted maple veneer is not all you might think it is. There's something about the fact that it's veneer and not real wood that makes the ripples look 'flat', there just isn't any real 'depth' to it, and I noticed the same thing last year when I did the sourburst tele with the same veneer.

Veneer is cool, but not quilted maple veneer, it doesn't compare to real quilted maple wood stock. :D

You've been busy as hell, I don't remember seeing any threads of yours for months and you now have what seems like a dozen all at the same time. :D

I notice you're using locktite CA. How do you compare it to the CA stewmac sells or the Hot Stuff CA?

I assume you alo use that foam brush on the pic to spread the CA?

Yes, I put everything away for about 6 months, and one warm day decided to give it a go again. :D

The only reason I have the Loktite is because I ran out of the Hot Stuff I normally use, but you know, it's the exact same damn thing.

The loktite is equal to the Hot Stuff YELLOW, which is the 'middle' viscosity, red being runny and green being almost a gel, yellow is in the middle and a good all purpose product.

It's really great to use it, it dries pretty fast, dries brick-hard, easy to sand smooth, easy to apply (besides the fumes), I'm really groovin' on the CA this year for my grain filler.

PS, I have the gold powder to do a gold top which I think would look great too, but I think a gold top and a Maple neck would look like crap, so a gold top is out, which is a shame in a way.

I'm really liking the idea of white. I really like white guitars :D

I was thinking something like Perrys WOMD. Just the lines and rivets, the camo is replaced with white.

It would give the effect the it was made out of panels of metal riveted together.

I don't know, just a thought...

Edited by Godin SD

Drak you are a true insparation for me to finish my projects, because i want to build a rhoads and have for sometime. Thank you for your awsomeness. lol. With that being said, i loved the veneer and i hate to see it go, i still think a paua strip down the middle woulda matched perfectly. Well to late now, oh well, Cant wait to see this bad boy done. Im im sucka for white guitars so im sure it will be sick as hell.

I'm not really that talented, I've just been doing it for 12 years now. Anyone doing this for 12 years would be at least good at it I would hope, and probably much better than I am. :D

I see some kids around here who have -way- more talent than I do, and in their 12 years will far far surpass me. :D

I remember your previous failed attempt with a quilt veneer-- something about glue soaking into the pores making it lose its shimmer, right? I'm still sad from that one.

Anyway, you've had a great stint here with stunning woods, and I'm really forward to seeing what you can do with a solid finish. Really, this is the perfect shape for such an experiment, too. Might I suggest white-cover EMG's for the pickups?

You guys are either really on your game, or you just know me that well, hahaha!

I actually have a white EMG 85 and a set of white SA's from a DG-20 'guard that I was thinking about using, but then decided against it.

It will have a Joe Barden Strat Deluxe in the neck, and the bridge HB I haven't decided yet, pkp cavities were cut last night. :D

The Barden in the neck I think will be just perfect.

And of course it will be equipped with an EMG Afterburner preamp, as I do with all my guitars. :D

BTW, this Spanish Cedar body can't weight 2.5 to 3 lbs., it's a real lightweight body and very resonant.

Thanks for the tip, locktite CA is affordable here in Oz :D Hot Stuff retails for $25 a bottle :D and stewmac won't ship CA here.

Regardless of what StewMac's policy is seek out your local 'proper' model shop. Modeller's, especially nitro car racers, use tons of the stuff and my local shop has Zap at around 20% less than any 'luthier' supply shop i know.

Jem B)

I think it's a shame you haven't stuck with the veneer... I really like the way the carve looked with the spanish cedar under it!

Have you tought of using some type of other wood for veneer? Something like bubinga or zebrawood or something... It would look good, I think.

Edited by Pr3Va1L

Yes, I said earlier that most veneers are fine, it's just quilted maple in particular that I would not use again, as the figure is not enhanced the way real quilted maple wood is enhanced, it looks 'flat' in veneer, but any other veneer is fine, not using any on this tho.

Thanks, and a few notes :D :

This guitar isn't a real 'serious' guitar. Some projects I take very seriously and put everything I have into them, and sometimes it's like 'hey, I've got an extra neck over here, and a big hunk of wood just sitting over there, let's slap something together'...and that is what this guitar is, really just for fun.

Also, that top pkp route is custom fit for a Barden, which doesn't have that little triangular baseplate most SC's have, but is perfectly rounded like the cutout shown, it is custom routed for a Barden to drop right in there w/ little to no extra room. I think a double-bladed Barden Strat pkp will look way cool peeking out from an arctic white paint job. :D