Wood Control Cavity Covers?

All you need to cut out the covers is a coping saw and wood of the propper thickness. Hell, you could even just get the plastic covers and glue on some veneer. If anyone sells them, they probably do so at an outrageous price. You'd be much better off just whipping some up yourself.

All you need to cut out the covers is a coping saw and wood of the propper thickness. Hell, you could even just get the plastic covers and glue on some veneer. If anyone sells them, they probably do so at an outrageous price. You'd be much better off just whipping some up yourself.

Problem is that I don't have the tools. This is also my first build and would really like to get some nice wood covers.

I second the 'make it yourself' theme.

Buying all your bits from Warmoth is great, but making the stuff yourself AND to your

own design is the best. :D

Making the covers yourself is an ideal project for someone such as yourself who has minimal

tools to work with. And you can make them as you want them to be.

Does it get any better than that?

Bet you could buy the tools and wood for less than it costs to buy ready made too :D

I made some basic covers for my lap steel project, and it was my first time ever trying. I had a few "eff-ups" along the way, but the final products turned out very well.

bridgeandbar.jpg

You can see much of the dual pickup "ring" there, and a semi-blurry bit of the small control cover (somewhat Tele-style in its minimalism). The photo was actually meant to show the B-Bender, so it's not ideal, but you get the picture.

The wood I used was intended to be a "headplate", and was ordered from LMI for about $5 plus shipping.

Greg

Yes, you just slice a piece off the back of your body blank(whatever thickness you want the cover to be, ideally about 1/4"), cut out the cover with a coping saw, and glue the back back onto the body. Done right, you won't see the seam. Of course, there are other ways to do this; that's just one.

peace,

russ

You can use the same method with a veneer on the back. You just cut out the cover with a razor blade, glue the veneer to the body blank and the piece you cut out to a control cover. Then you have routing to do.

Another method I know of is to just cut out a cover the thickness of your body blank, out of your blank with a coping saw. Then thickness that removed piece to the thickness you want the cover to be, slap a top on the body blank, and put in brackets to hold the cover. This would be my last choice as I think it would be hard to get perfect.

The options are only as limited as your own creativity, so do whatever your heart desires.

peace,

russ

EDIT: Also, some people will slice a piece off of the back, cut out the cover, and not glue the rest back on. Depending on the board, you may still be able to line up the grain almost perfectly using this method if you route for the cover on the wood directly below where the cover was cut from.

I think I remember seeing an 'action shot' of Setch cutting out the covers from his body blanks.

I'm pretty sure it was the same guitar that he's got up for noms. for GOTM.

I just had a look at the GOTM vote poll pics. Those covers came up a treat too.

Setch... where are you ?? Any knowledge you'd like to share on this one ?