pick up winders

ryeisnotcool2

• 8 months later...

there are a coulple of people on the diystompboxes.com forum i think his name is jim radmer is one of them i belive. and i know that andrew over at

www.geocities.com/thetonegod

has his up to show how he did his.

i used to be a lego junky soi think it is possible to build it with lego (i think some dude around on the internet has) all you need is a bunch of bricks and cool gears and a way to make sure that the wire gets spread equally over every part (id suggest taking apart that fishing rod and look at the mechanics) hell you could probably even do it robotized, if you have one of them nifty mindstorm robots

Have a look on the stewmac site for Jason Lollar's book; "Basic pickup winding and complete guide to making your own pickup winder"

It's basically a 60 page step-by-step guide to making your own winder. I bought it to get info on pickups themselves. It was pretty useless for that, there's zero info on pickup theory in this book and maybe 4 pages devoted to pickup building and parts of the pickups.

The winder you end up with is pretty basic (made out of wood with a sewing machine motor) but at least you get to learn what ALL the parts in this machine do, their purpose and the way they work. With this in hand you can easily design your own machines.

Make that 4. I have the book and have made a winder using some of the ideas from the book. So far only wound a few homemade P90 bobbins. But I just got an order of parts (magnets mostly), so now I can finish up those and make some more. Maybe I should get off the computer and go do that...

another fast suggestion if you want to wind your own hex type pickups or even just a quick dirty way to get into it to see if you want to sink that much time and money into it.. a cheap sewing machine. as it will allow you to wind the little bobins with wire.. and its adjustable works quite well several people including myself have tried it.

you can actually make a little jig to hold a fullsize guitar pickup bobbin.. just a thought as you can pickup a good used one for around 30 dollars or so at a thrift store

and it would only take a few minutes to modifiy it to do what you want.

plus you still got the sweingmachine to do some snazy outfits for the rest of the band..

ok ok sorry the last bit was uncalled for. but hey custom straps are a good look sometimes too.. i covered a guitar in this awesome black rose with blood read flowers taht was semi transparent so i made a matching guitar strap for it..

Check out the winders on these sites:

Designed to wind and Guitar Attack

Also, I got Jason Lollar's book and its great for giving you ideas.

I've made several but I canablise one to make the next!

My current model uses a sewing machine motor to turn a bench grinder. The stones were replaced with plastic, perspex faced wheels so that I can attach bobbins with double sided tape. The wire feeds from above and is double sided so that it can reverse wind on the opposite side or wind two coils identically at the same time.

I have built a auto-traversing section to it but haven't got it running. Am thinking of using stepper motors instead of my toy gearbox to move the wire evenly from side to side. Meanwhile I just hand feed it.

Not being able to leave it alone (sic) I have a counter and tachometer and it can run at over 3500 rpm!!!!!! (of course in use about 500 is adequate)

But don't go overboard like me, I knew I would need something accurate for the experimental stuff I'm doing. (see sustainer ideas and rare earth magnet threads)

I saw a photo of the winder Leo Fender put together at G+L to wind their pickups and it was very primitive (made of wood I think). I visited Maton Guitars when I was a kid and saw their winder - Meccano! These are commerial operations!!!!

good luck

psw

I found a great method for making pickups on the web...

Jon Tirone's method

It has a winding system that uses one of the old crank drills, also it has how to make your own bobbins. If you look around on his site, you can find out how to add a counter so you can count the number of winds.

I'm going to make a guitar over the summer. I am still wondering where to get the wire and magnets. Steward Macdonald sells the wire but alot more then I need.

I found a great method for making pickups on the web...

Jon Tirone's method

It has a winding system that uses one of the old crank drills, also it has how to make your own bobbins. If you look around on his site, you can find out how to add a counter so you can count the number of winds.

I'm going to make a guitar over the summer. I am still wondering where to get the wire and magnets. Steward Macdonald sells the wire but alot more then I need.

Ditto that. The fishbake site has a really cool setup. And the pocket calculator idea for a turn counter is premo!

• 1 year later...