Hand Painting And Finishing

Hello, I've got a friend who is a talented artist, and I was curious and asked her if she would like to paint my guitar. She's agreed to do it for me, but she has no experience (nor do I) of painting or finishing a guitar so I need some advice on the best route to go to work on this.

I've got a strat body in a sorta ugly sparkly green-gold, stripped of neck and hardware. If the whole thing gets painted over is it necessary to strip the paint off before hand? or could it just be painted over the existing finish and then given a clear coat? Should I use a clear Nitrocellulose finish to seal the paint job? Can it be brushed on or just sprayed? Are oil paints or acrylics best? What if the paints were mixed in Nitrocellulose finish before being applied? would that be good or bad? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Should I use a clear Nitrocellulose finish to seal the paint job?
No need, if its a sparkly strat its more likely to be polyester based and the nc will not achieve anything - more likely to cause extra grief.

As Nitefly said, just sand all over to give a mechanical key to the new paint, and off ya go.

keep in mind that sparkly factory finish you have on there is roughly 15+ coats . You add to this and your adding weight plus pending what you use can defintely dull your instruments tone. I would use some chemical stripper and strip her down. Use waterbase lacquer....stewmac.com makes a brushable mix if you don't own any spray equipment. They also have a quick reference finish schedule to give you an idea what your up against. I recommned the waterbase lacquer.easy to work with with less fumes to worry about! :D

I was reading somewhere that if you try to use Laquer on a Poly finish that it will basically strip the finish because they don't like each other. Clear Acrylic sprays are Laquers, yes? Does that mean it's bad to use on my sparkly likely poly undercoat? or does that only apply to Nitrocellulose?

Edited by tremendousOt

Actually a lacquer is ANY surface coating that is mostly clear and glossy, it does not mean anything chemically.

The trouble is, so many different people use the same word to describe different things - this is why you have to be careful about different recommendations on the forums. Some people talk of nitrocellulose as a lacquer, some people mean water-based or solvent-based acrylic. Actually they both are.

Sorry to sort of Hi-jack thsi thread, but it is along the same lines (plus i stupidly just put a post up without searching...otherwise would ahve found this straightaway...sorry!!).

Im also thinking of getting a friend to hand paint a design onto my Tele that I will be building over the summer.

I was thinking that using Plasti-kote Quick Dry enamel would be best as there are loads of colours and its pretty easy to use. Would this be a suitable paint to use on a swamp ash guitar?

Also, Plasti-kote doa water based clear sealer...would this be OK over the enamel paint.

Details can be found here - Enamel paint is second on the list and sealer is fourth