Fuzz Questions

Mickguard

Maybe someone can help me decide if I need a fuzz pedal --what's the big difference between a fuzz pedal and the distortion I get when I overdrive the preamp tube on my amp?

Is the fuzz a different sound entirely? Does add compression/sustain or something like that?

I'm looking at getting the Big Muff , maybe the Dod Flashback.

What is the difference between "distortion" and "overdrive"? And "fuzz"?

Effectively none. "Overdrive" started as what you got when you put too large a signal into the input of an amp, causing the signal to be distorted at the speaker. You were "overdriving" the inputs. "Distortion" is the more generic term, and started when folks noticed that you could get a distorted sound from a little solid state amp that was VERY nonlinear. The terms have been used so interchangeably that there is no real difference, although some people will swear that only tubes being overdriven sound good, etc. Let them insist. It won't hurt much either way.

Boss and Ibanez seemed to define this difference with their pedals. The Boss OD-1 and Ibanez TS-9 Tube screamer "overdrives" are a smoother, less harsh sound than the DS-1 and SD-9 distortions.

The distortion pedals add more crunchy, gritty sound, whereas the overdrives add more smoothness and not as much distorted crunch. An MXR "distortion plus" is the definitive distortion pedal from the 1970s.

"Fuzz" seems to be an easier term to agree on a definition for. Pretty much everyone involved agrees that fuzz is a harder, harsher, and buzzier distortion than overdrive, and usually considered harder and harsher than "distortion" by itself. There is no real boundary on all this - it's just which words you want to use, no strict definitions.

http://www.geofex.com/effxfaq/fxfaq.htm

Edited by weezerboy

Yeah, I've read that...but it doesn't exactly answer the question I have.

I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is what a fuzz pedal will give me in addition to the overdrive I get from my amps' pre-amps and powertubes, because it seems like everybody but me has some kind of fuzz or distortion pedal in front of their tube amp.

Try one in a shop...

comparing the overdrive on my amp and a big muff pedal I have it is definitely a different sound, but hearing it yourself will tell you a lot more than words will.

I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is what a fuzz pedal will give me in addition to the overdrive I get from my amps' pre-amps and powertubes, because it seems like everybody but me has some kind of fuzz or distortion pedal in front of their tube amp.

It really depends on what you're personally looking for soundwise, but I have both, and I would opt for either an overdrive pedal or maybe a distortion pedal over a fuzz pedal any day. Fuzz is nice at times, but the overdrive is in pretty constant use.

Fuzzes are finicky and don't track very well on chords, and have a sort of dated sound...they're really more for solo leads or slower picked leads, where 'that' sound is required in particular, whereas an overdrive or distortion is a much more all-purpose, all-around user-friendly dirt pedal (IMO).

Absolutely try some out somewhere before buying one, you may be severely dissapointed in a fuzz buying before you try it.

Fuzzes are finicky and don't track very well on chords, and have a sort of dated sound...they're really more for solo leads or slower picked leads, where 'that' sound is required in particular, whereas an overdrive or distortion is a much more all-purpose, all-around user-friendly dirt pedal (IMO).

+1

Fuzz pedal is great for 60/70s solo's (eg Hendrix), but its crap for chords. They sound muddy and horrible.

You might want to check out the video of Blues Saraceno demonstrating the Seymour Duncan TweakFuzz. Even if you're not interested in buying that particular pedal, it's a great demo to show what can be done with a fuzz pedal.

Also, most of the rhythm on U2's Vertigo track was recorded with a Big Muff.

Fuzz pedal is great for 60/70s solo's (eg Hendrix), but its crap for chords. They sound muddy and horrible.

Ah see...the sound I'm looking for is more toward the lines of the Black Keys or even the Kills --in other words, I'm not looking for clean tone :D

I'm just wondering if a pedal is going to give me more than what I get from amps...I'm not normally given to fussing with pedals, but I'm thinking of making a pedalboard (like the garenhanman's) so it'll always be set up.

Problem is, there's no shop around here carrying interesting pedals --there's only two stores, all the have is Boss stuff (I know some of that is pretty good though) and they're not really set up for testing things out. Besides, I'll end up paying twice as much if I buy locally.

I know I need a tremolo pedal, since my current amps don't have that.

Dan Auerbach uses an Electro Harmonix Screaming Tree treble booster as well as a big muff...theres some more stuff, but afaik thats the basis of his sound.

As for the kills...god only knows - if i could get the same tone used in "the search for cherry red" i could die happy :D

Dan Auerbach uses an Electro Harmonix Screaming Tree treble booster as well as a big muff...theres some more stuff, but afaik thats the basis of his sound.

As for the kills...god only knows - if i could get the same tone used in "the search for cherry red" i could die happy :D

Hey, I just ordered the Kills first disc (even though I have no use for the CDs themselves anymore). I don't know the cherry red song.

I know that Auerbach plays through an old Ampeg with lots of tremolo (I had the same amp for a while, but it wasn't practical for me). The Screaming Tree isn't available anymore, but maybe I should look into a boost pedal too --I think Vox makes one to emulate the top boost?

I decided to switch to fingerpicks to play too-- the whole idea behind the fuzz question is that I'm forming a two-piece with a friend, he's playing drums, I have to fill up the rest of the sound and sing...I figure being able to pick will help there too, get some rumbly bass sounds in there.

And yeah, thoughtless, out of control is definitely what I'm going for!

I noticed that both Auerbach and Hotel use their fingers, I'm sure that's a big part of their sound. We'll see how quickly I can get used to picking.

more info on Mr Auerbach:

I use a ’60s-era Ampeg B-12XT 2x12 combo. I just find the sweet spot on the amplifier where the guitar breaks up just enough so you can still use a fuzz pedal with it. I’ve got a bunch of old fuzz pedals, but I mainly use a Maestro. I also have a Boss tuner, and I’m pretty adamant about using coiled cables. I can’t stand straight guitar cords because I’m always stepping on them. It’s easier for me to freak out on stage when I’ve got a coiled cord.
- © guitar player magazine

and some random snippets:

-In a technique similar to many earlier bluesmen, Auerbach often uses an index finger fingerpick along with his thumb to play chords.

Equipment

Fender Jerry Donahue Telecaster w/ DiMarzio twin-blade humbuckers & .011, .015, .020, .030, .039, .049 gauge strings

Ampeg B12XT 2x12 combo amp

Fuzz pedal(s)

Also Silvertone and Teisco Del Ray guitars