Bookmatched Vs Unique (top & Bottom)

Obviously bookmatched wood is more popular, promotes a very classy look and is very artistic. But how much does wood that is not symetrical take away from the look, or does it even add to it? I put this picture up just as an example. I bought it out of the stock Walnut at the lumber yard just because I thought it was interesting and the parts pictured are from two separate ends of the board and have a little figure. I placed it next to some guitar pieces to get some ideas and wanted to see what you guts thought of the bookmatched vs non-symetrical guitar top. I'm looking for feedback more on the topic and less on this specific picture.

WalnutNeckthrugit.jpg

It doesnt 'take away' anything IMO.

That wood in the photo looks great btw!

Obviously bookmatched wood is more popular, promotes a very classy look and is very artistic. But how much does wood that is not symetrical take away from the look, or does it even add to it? I put this picture up just as an example. I bought it out of the stock Walnut at the lumber yard just because I thought it was interesting and the parts pictured are from two separate ends of the board and have a little figure. I placed it next to some guitar pieces to get some ideas and wanted to see what you guts thought of the bookmatched vs non-symetrical guitar top. I'm looking for feedback more on the topic and less on this specific picture.

One-piece tops can be just as attractive as bookmatched tops. Some of Ron Thorn's guitars have one piece tops, using woods such as Koa, and they look absolutely stunning.

For example:

003-tcikoa3b.jpg

You can make stunning guitars with two pieces for the top that aren't symmetrical also, just if there's a sharp divide it can look a little different from the norm. But who's to say that's a problem?

I like the top picture because there is something seperating the two peices of walnut and i like the second because its one solid peice. Not sure how it wood look with two different peices right next to each other but i am sure that with the right wood it would look fine

I think the vibe you've got going in your first picture there looks terrific - the figuring of the walnut flows well "across" the whole body shape, and the neck-through lams help break up anything that might look too jarring where two dissimilar pieces meet. Honestly, if you're happy with it, that's all that matters. Some of my favorite-looking guitars have been non-bookmatched three-piece alder bodies, but that's just me.

This one definitely falls under personal preference.

I realize flamed or quilted bookmatched tops are all the rage around here, but personally I hate 'em --maybe I've just overdosed on it, looking at all the builds here...

My own preference leans toward a single piece of wood, even though that's more difficult to find, of course.

I really like the look of plain maple-- and because of the fairly straight lines, it doesn't really need to be bookmatched, you can achieve a great look by choosing your pieces carefully.

I guess that goes for any wood type-- it's up to you to find the visual interest in the grain. That's actually more difficult to achieve than buying a bookmatched 'kit' , in my opinion.

I'm not a fan of any guitar with wood that lacks continuity. One piece and bookmatched tops, body etc. is fine. But 2 different pieces (like your example) should at least have the grain running in the same direction. Otherwise, it just doesn't look right.

I'm not a fan of any guitar with wood that lacks continuity. One piece and bookmatched tops, body etc. is fine. But 2 different pieces (like your example) should at least have the grain running in the same direction. Otherwise, it just doesn't look right.

Well, that's what I mean by 'visual interest' . Although I've seen photos of the early non-bookmatched Les Pauls, doesn't look like they spent much time matching the grain on them. They still look pretty great.

I think in this case the look is more along the lines of Crotch Walnut. The beauty or appeal of it is that it twists and whirls in unique directions (very non-linear). I think with the seperation due to the neck thru section. It is effective. I really think it is a personal appeal kinda thing. Align the pieces so they look cool to you and run with it.

I am a very linear kinda guy myself. I wish I could be more relaxed and creative. I really am impressed by people that are free with their design choices, and think outside the box. It has more risk, but sometimes creates jaw dropping results.

Peace,Rich

I first looked at it with exactly the same eye as RAI6. In other words, I really DO think they have continuity and form a nice pattern. I like it WAY better than typical bookmatching, and these particular pieces hold a lot of visual interest. I say give'er.

Greg

I first looked at it with exactly the same eye as RAI6. In other words, I really DO think they have continuity and form a nice pattern. I like it WAY better than typical bookmatching, and these particular pieces hold a lot of visual interest. I say give'er.

Greg

Now, is there any chance you can get rid of those laminates? Ruins the coolness, if you ask me. But then I've been a fan of that kind of thing.

I actually prefer the look of a non-bookmatched, 2 piece figured top. If you look at the original LP's, you'll see that they didn't book match their tops. I've always felt like a non-bookmatched top always looks a bit more natural or organic than its bookmatched counterpart.

peace,

russ

• 1 month later...

I kinda prefer the 1-piece top. It really makes the top look larger and more spacious. Also bookmatched tops always draw my eyes directly to the center line, so that's all I see on the guitar top is that seam down the center. With the 1-piece tops (or 1-piece looking in the case of a neck-thru), it really adds a lot of visual space.

That Walnut looks great next to the Mahogany, great choice.

Nice. Very nice. Like SoundAt11, my eye is drawn right to the seam of book matched tops - I'm not a fan. What you've done is actually very cool. Even with the dissimilar wood down the center, there is a nice flow to it.

A good looking, deep, interesting piece of wood is stunning whether it is symetrical or not ...IMHO. No offense to PRS guys but the over abundance of perfect, matched, flamed and/or quilted tops has left me rather dulled on the whole look/experience. I personally would rather use a unique and interesting piece of wood. Hey, if everyone drove Porsche's, that VW would be the coolest car out there and draw the most attention...but then again, I love to break the rules!!!...Rog