Lacquer Won't Stick!

Hey all. I just painted my latest creation (automotive spray paint) and the clear coats won't stick to the paint. It goes on seemingly beautiful but even the slightest knick or bump and the lacquer comes away from the paint. BTW, I'm using a Varathane gloss lacquer.

So, I'm wondering. Do I need to sand the paint coat before spraying the clear? If so, What grit? Am I using the wrong product? HELP!!!!!

Quite probably your paint and clearcoat products are non-compatable.

Sanding the paint might achieve a mechanical bond, but you shouldn't have to rely on that for good adhesion.

Best bet is to stay with the same manufacturer for color and clear coat products. :D

Varathane suck with most other paints. It peels like snake skin and once it finish peal;ing nad you want to refinish you ar egoing to have to clean up with naphta or something similar and spray one more color coat.

I could recomend the varathane if you were to finish directly on wood. Over paint I don't like it.

Thanks Guys,

So, most likely I'm using the wrong lacquer. I used duplicolor auto paint so I guess I'll try to find a duplicolor clear coat.

One more question, Does it matter if my paint has a gloss to it? I heard that you should use only a matt paint and that the clear will give the shine. But The color I want has a gloss to it. Is this OK? Thanks again.

Quite probably your paint and clearcoat products are non-compatable.

Sanding the paint might achieve a mechanical bond, but you shouldn't have to rely on that for good adhesion.

Best bet is to stay with the same manufacturer for color and clear coat products. :D

+1 :D

Minwax poly anyone? My friend finnished his guitar with auto paints then used Minwax poly as the clear coat and it worked fine. try it on a scrap. It cures fast which is good and bad. You must never take more then a day break when adding coats or you could get witness lines. But other then that i love it for a finnish thats from a can.

To me Dupli-Color never cured, and even if it did cure it was very, very soft just like it had never cured. Don't get me wrong, it's a GREAT finish for beginners, it sands easily, buffs out easily and looks good buffed but it's not a brand you'd want to paint 20 or 30 guitars with and sell them. Love my spray rig. :D

I'm not sure about products in Canada, but you might want to check 'Canadian Tire' or something like that for spray cans.

Edited by AlGeeEater