Strange Setup On New Bass

Guys-

Been playing a 5 string American active Jbass for years, but decided to take a try on an inexpenseive 6 string for the fun of it- So I went cheap- Take a look at

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rog...Bass?sku=519246

Overall seems nice, but no where near playbale yet-I've set up a lot of gtrs over the years, but I'm a bit concerned and wondering if I'm missign something obvious?

It was detuned on receipt as one would expect, but upon bringing it up to pitch, the strings remained touching all of the frets up to 7th fret on hi strings A string is probably farther and the low b isnt out of buzz range after I raised the saddle farther than it would go-

Traditionally, I would raise the saddles to bring the action up, however the saddles are already max hight, in fact one of the saddles is using a non-matching short set screw and was already well over-extended upon receipt-

The neck appears nearly flat (havent tried a straigh edge yet), but this seems more than a little relief from the truss rod for mid neck if I am reading this correctly.

I don't believe there are any other bridge height adjustments and I believe this means the neck angle would have to be adjusted. I am not familiar with 6 bolt necks, and perhaps there is a simple adjustment that would bring the action into a workable level with 6 bolts?

But if there is not, this appears to be more of neck alignment than a simple set up and I wanted to get your input. Are there any simple set up techniques that I am overlooking? Or are we talking about neck off, shims, etc?

If the neck angle needs to be fixed and this is not a simple adjustment, I would consider this a bigger than a setup and would probalby send it back as I dont want to get cauth in the 'you messed this up not us"

But otherwise it appears to be a really, really fine instrument for a ridiculous price-

Anyone know this style and can provide any input would be very appreciated!

spazzyone- Yep, couldn't figure that one out at all-

"in fact one of the saddles is using a non-matching short set screw and was already well over-extended upon receipt-"

Seems that you would always use the same set screw on both sides of every saddle, as I've never know a situation where you would like the saddle not to be horizontal-

OK, that does it- I'm loosening both truss rods when I get home and if it doesn't settle in (and revert to the hieght of the shortest set screw) by Monday, it will be going back-

You guys are great!

happy friday

OK, I'm about to give up on this rogue (althoguth I really love the look and feel outside of no action:) But it has 2 double action truss rods-

I loosened the left one counter-clockwise as I usually do to get relief- However the right one only wants to turn clockwise- I dont want to force it counterclockwise and wonder if maybe this is all due to me not understanding dobule action rods?

But one thing is for sure- Most of the strings have no clearance when I hold down 1st and 12th fret at same time- And those that have some clearace (because of high saddles) are buzzign bad-

input appreciated again!

Wait - it has dual action rods?

In that case turning them counterclockwise should remove the backbow. How much resistance are you feeling on the right hand rod? If it's just that it doesn't spin freely like a single action rod being loosened, that's usual. If it's actually binding, hold off and consider taking it to a tech - you *really* don't want to torque it too hard and shear the threaded portion or ream out the adjustment nut.

yep. 2 dual action rods according to their web site-

The left one easily loosened counterclockwise-

The right one wouln't go coutner at all- just clockwise so I haven't forced it- I've tested it with and without string tension and I know better than taking it any farther on my own-

So if I dont get any more ideas it will go back this week-

Again its a shame..very pretty and good sound except the buzz-

Cheers

m

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, time for stage 2-

I sent the bass back and got the replacement yesterday-this one is much closer out of the box and I only get buzzing and frettout on the first 3 fretts-

Keeping in mind there are 2 dobule action truss rods, this time the right one easily loosens and the left one doesnt want to budge! opposite of last time-

I really want to keep this one- I took it to local gtr shop last night and dverone ooh and ahad- a college kid litterally cancelled his ibanez order because he liked the neck so much- So I really really want to figure this out-

Here's the summary- Right rod is loose- Left doesnt want to move either direction with or without string tension. Please, please please help me get this set up right!

Thanks again-

m

guess it's time for me to take it to my tecnician but i feel whimpy- ive never had trouble setting up a guitar and didnt think bass would be any different-

The action is very low and the string gauge is very low (things I wanted on this bass- opposite of my jbass)- But ive read many others that have had sucess with this modlel so the odds are it's just me- unless anyone else has ideas short of heavier strings) i'd be very interested- otherwise will report in when it comes back from the shop-

Thx again!

Michael

guess it's time for me to take it to my tecnician but i feel whimpy- ive never had trouble setting up a guitar and didnt think bass would be any different-

The action is very low and the string gauge is very low (things I wanted on this bass- opposite of my jbass)- But ive read many others that have had sucess with this modlel so the odds are it's just me- unless anyone else has ideas short of heavier strings) i'd be very interested- otherwise will report in when it comes back from the shop-

Thx again!

Michael

Hrmmm. I always get minor buzz at the 2nd and 3rd frets when the action is too low for my Ibanez 6-string. Have you readjusted the action for this bass? If not, set your action! Also, I'd encourage you to ship it back if you have anymore problems. I'd HIGHLY recommend getting an Ibanez or Spector 6-string instead of going thru this trouble each time. From my experience on playing several 6-strings and nearly every mass produced brand out there, Ibanez and Spector make the most affordable quality instruments.

Happy happy joy joy-

superb news! My tech got physical with the bass this morning and things couldnt be any better- The sound and neck feel was already incredible, but now she's all buzz free and it's a blast- And here's a serious recomdenadation for anyone needing a great 2nd bass or a first 6th string.. if you are willing to do the setup, this is a seriously great bass for the price- I sitll love my J for what it does, but it will be easy to leave at home for 99% of gigs-

I've never had to make a serious truss rod adjstment on a bass, and this is a double 35, so I was backing off before I should have.Here's the secret...

The rod (a different one each time) was binding and all he had to do was flex the neck around the 14th fret- As a non tech I would never, ever do this, but he litterally bent the neck by applying knee pressure, the rod came free, and total adjstment time was under 2 minutes.

For $249 with free shipping, this is one of the best deals I've ever seen- On the other hand, unless everyone takes this model into their tech, there's about 100% chance ( from my experiemce) that they will be disapointed when it comes in the door.

thanks for sticking with me through this one- you guys nailed it up front and gave me the confidnce to stick with it- big big thanks!