Walnut

Walnut is much lighter than Hard Maple. Mahogany? just depends on the piece. Walnut is much like Big leaf Maple it can vary quite a bit depending. Generally the light weight Walnut has poor tonal properties. :DB) (Just kidding...). A pic would be kinda cool. Do you know if it is Western (Black, or Claro) or English or maybe an eastern black variety(really it has a wide range).

Peace,Rich

Walnut is much lighter than Hard Maple. Mahogany? just depends on the piece. Walnut is much like Big leaf Maple it can vary quite a bit depending. Generally the light weight Walnut has poor tonal properties. :D:D (Just kidding...). A pic would be kinda cool. Do you know if it is Western (Black, or Claro) or English or maybe an eastern black variety(really it has a wide range).

Peace,Rich

The instrument you see on this pic is a p-bass (in the making)..mahogany with walnut top. I have an all walnut guitar made of the same pice of wood...but i did not have a picture of it.

I willl check out the weight of it..

Edited by Odin

Looks like Black Walnut to me

I agree. It looks very much like walnut.

I’m curious. How does the all walnut guitar sound? Is it a walnut neck too? Fretboard? (and type of guitar, pickups etc for reference of cause)

Warmoth wenge/ebony baryton neck (i dont make my own necks) and emg 81-85. I have also made one walnut body guitar with single coils. They both sounds very lively and snappy..its like the wood loves to be played on :D I would say its tonal caracter is just between maple and mahogany.

I've been trying to figure out what the wood I've been using is:

Mystery wood?

Looks a lot like the walnut, only what I have is distinctly reddish --more like mahogany I suppose. It's from a plank that's been here for 50 years, so no one knows what it is or where it came from.

Don't know if this helps, but when it's freshly planed/sanded it's a reddish/orangish color. After a few days though, it darkens and turns gray.

It looks a little to dark and brownish for cherry. And the grain makes me think that it might be mahogany.

Mick, for colour reference, what is the wood that your blank is resting on made from? A camera is most of the time not very true when it comes to colours, especially indoors using light bulbs.

It looks a little to dark and brownish for cherry. And the grain makes me think that it might be mahogany.

Mick, for colour reference, what is the wood that your blank is resting on made from? A camera is most of the time not very true when it comes to colours, especially indoors using light bulbs.

The floor? That's 100 percent linoleum! The darker shaded part of the blank is more accurate colorwise, although I'd say the real color is a bit darker still. I agree that it has a definitely mahogany look to it --especially when it's stained cherry red, it's a dead ringer for my Gibson's wood. Except the veins seem less pronounced/dramatic with this wood.

Here's a couple other photos of the naked wood:

link

link

link

last link I promise

When I knock on it, it has a pretty nice ring to it...the neck blank I just made out of it is especially resonant...we'll see how that translates on the guitar. There's a definite difference between this wood, the ash blank I just prepared, and a birch blank I'm getting ready to use--the ash is the brightest, this wood seems most resonant, the birch is kind of a thicker thud-like sound.

The guitar I built out of it so far is fairly bright sounding, a pretty crisp midrange --that one has a mahogany neck, a maple back and it's been chambered...although it's hard to say because I have a Rickenbacker pickup at the bridge and a knockoff toaster at the neck (the middle pickup isn't wired). The Rickenbacker is very trebly, but not much sustain. The neck pickup sounds like it's being run through a fuzz box and has TONS of sustain...

But I also covered that guitar in acrylic spray paint...I'm sorry about that now. So I'm planning on stripping it down again... And I'll probably end up capping it with maple.

Mguard -> cherry

I’m not sure about that. The colour is a little too red and the grain doesn’t look like the cherry I have used. But I have only used it for one guitar and some desk tops in the kitchen. And all woods vary, I know. Is the wood open grained or close grained? Cherry is close grained and mahogany open. How well did the wood suck up dye? I just imagine that cherry wouldn’t take on dye as well as mahogany.

The cherry guitar started with the desktop and I managed to get enough leftovers to build me a nice resolectric. Fixing up the kitchen CAN actually contribute to your guitar building :D

Looks a lot like the walnut, only what I have is distinctly reddish --more like mahogany I suppose. It's from a plank that's been here for 50 years, so no one knows what it is or where it came from.

Don't know if this helps, but when it's freshly planed/sanded it's a reddish/orangish color. After a few days though, it darkens and turns gray.

Yes, that does help. Sounds like cherry to me. Especially 50 year old cherry. The age explains the color. Cherry gets darker with age, even under the surface. That's why everyone stains it an awful shade of brown on furniture, etc. Impatience. :D

I agree. First is Black Walnut, and the mystery wood is cherry. Both are fine for building, the Walnut would make a great body, esp if it is lighter.

I think the heavier/denser walnuts might make a better bass. But who knows, it came come down to each individual plank.

komodo

Doesn't look like Cherry to me.

"Yes, that does help. Sounds like cherry to me. Especially 50 year old cherry. The age explains the color. Cherry gets darker with age, even under the surface. That's why everyone stains it an awful shade of brown on furniture, etc. Impatience."

But, "Don't know if this helps, but when it's freshly planed/sanded it's a reddish/orangish color. After a few days though, it darkens and turns gray"

Freshly cut, Dark then lightens to grey.

Honduran Mahogany can definately have greys and yellows. Sapele can be Dark Brown to Blonde/grey. Khaya- not so much grey but some times can be a little grey (usually has more of the classic Mahogany look). There are a lot of other "Mahogany" type woods that this could be. I would be hard pressed to give a solid answer looking at pictures. The only real mystery to me is that most of them tend to darken not lighten with age. Cherry can get pretty dark over time, but that would be the darkest I have ever seen. The hue just doesn't say cherry to me either (I am used to a pinkish/ brown - not so much orange/brown).

Peace,Rich

Oh, I've seen it get darker than that, even.

Not sure what you mean by this. I think Mick said it gets darker and greyer with time.

Cherry will take on a bit of grey, particularly in bands between growth rings.

Oh, I've seen it get darker than that, even.

Not sure what you mean by this. I think Mick said it gets darker and greyer with time.

Cherry will take on a bit of grey, particularly in bands between growth rings.

My bad, He did say darker and gray. Cherry does get kinda grayish bands. I dunno.... Just seems different than the cherry I am used to. I can't say what it is for sure so you may be spot on with Cherry.

My bad, He did say darker and gray. Cherry does get kinda grayish bands. I dunno.... Just seems different than the cherry I am used to. I can't say what it is for sure so you may be spot on with Cherry.

Well, like I said, the idea of cherry pleases me...in fact, just took the boys out to pick cherries this afternoon...ah life in the countryside...

The best part of this wood is that the plank was wide enough and thick enough to make a body from a single piece. :D

I have some thin pieces here, I could slip them in an envelope and mail them out, if anyone's really curious. They were sawn off the top of the blank. Just PM me with your address.