woods woods woods!!

i'm just reading all the descriptions on the ramparts page.. over and over :D i want to use them all in one guitar in some crazy partern.. but.. to many glue joints kills the tone right? but.......... OMG sooooooo many beautifull woods... i'm going to have to come up with some designs to use them all B) I especially like the heartwoods mmmmm

but man.... some tonaly descriptions are friggin confusing..

Yellowheart....

The middle midrange is emphasized in comparison with the upper and lower midrange. Its upper enhancement range is the upper treble and top octave. Too much energy in this area will decrease depth of image. Its lower range of enhancement is in the middle bass.

??? the last part really throws me off...

so ok.... an actuall question.. if i had the neck thru, then a top 1/4ish , and 2 peices of wood on either side of the neck under the top, is that to many glue joints? are those woods really going to matter tonaly??

and how many glue joints is to many for an electric, is a 3 peice body bushing it? what about a 5 or 4 peice laminate neck? all that glue just killing the tone and sustain?

Since it's a neck thru, I don't think you should be afraid of sustain loss. But because it's a neck thru, the main resonances come from the neck wood, because that's the 'core' that is mainly under tension. Will the outer wings matter tonally? IMHO yes, the will, but with much less effect to the tone, especially with those glue joints, but good glueing can veritably 'fuse' wood fibers together.

like roli said that would be fine.that is common to cap a neck through and just make your joints pretty snug,just like you did with your other guitars.as far as the tone descriptions,think about a 12 band eq instead of the limited 3 band on most amps.each sectin (bass,midrange,treble)has 4 bands.upper midrange is slightly to the right of the very middle,and so on."depth of the image" B) hell if i know :D

It would be cool if the woods were different colours (light and dark) and you traced a line on them with corrugated steel/plastic, then glued them together like that, with the wavy pattern showing through.

:D ?

Its kind of hard to explain

But instead of the glue joint being a straight line. It is a wavy line, and you use corrugated steel/plastic to draw on the line so that it is the same every time...then the peices will kind of interlock together....kinda like this....(man, this is hard to explain)

/......./....../......|........|....\.......\.......\

\.......\......\......|........|..../......./......./

This is what it would look like....the body blank with a neckthru(kinda)

Aaron

P.S.

If anybody else understands this could you help me out?

I thought it might be kinda neat to build a Strat shaped guitar out of a lighter wood, like alder or maple, and have darker wood [ie. mahogany] polka dots. It would be a pain to build, it would probably sound like crap [due to all the glue] and would be silly looking, but it'd be unique and fun.

i don't understand...are you cutting the pieces of wood that way?

yea, and you use corrugated steel/plastic to make the lines all the same so they interlock...(yay somebody gets it!)

corrugated steel or expanded metal?expanded metal is that mesh type stuff you see sometimes on bbq pits and the like

I thought it might be kinda neat to build a Strat shaped guitar out of a lighter wood, like alder or maple, and have darker wood [ie. mahogany] polka dots. It would be a pain to build, it would probably sound like crap [due to all the glue] and would be silly looking, but it'd be unique and fun.

actually that sounds cool.you could use a drill bit to make the holes and use turning wood to fill it.or pen blanks.

i don't understand...are you cutting the pieces of wood that way?

yea, and you use corrugated steel/plastic to make the lines all the same so they interlock...(yay somebody gets it!)

corrugated steel or expanded metal?expanded metal is that mesh type stuff you see sometimes on bbq pits and the like

no, corrugated steel, u know, like the stuff you see that poor people use to build roofs for their makeshift houses in 3rd world countries and stuff.