Increase The "swing" Of A Drill Press?

rlrhett

I posted this question on another board, but nobody seemed to have ideas. Maybe it's impossible, but if anyone knows here goes:

Does anyone know how to increase the "swing" of a drill press? (distance from center of chuck to edge of support column). I'm finding it hard to reach string holes in the center of the guitar with my 10" drill press. It has a swing of about 4 1/2" (yeah, I know, if they call it a 10" drill it should have 5" of clearance. Since when are tool manufactures honest in their names :D ) In order to reach the center of a 16" guitar I would need a 17" free standing drill press. Not only don't I have the cabbage, I don't have the space. I have an appartment wood shop :D and heavy free standing equipment is not an option.

Suggestions?

I posted this question on another board, but nobody seemed to have ideas. Maybe it's impossible, but if anyone knows here goes:

Does anyone know how to increase the "swing" of a drill press? (distance from center of chuck to edge of support column). I'm finding it hard to reach string holes in the center of the guitar with my 10" drill press. It has a swing of about 4 1/2" (yeah, I know, if they call it a 10" drill it should have 5" of clearance. Since when are tool manufactures honest in their names :D ) In order to reach the center of a 16" guitar I would need a 17" free standing drill press. Not only don't I have the cabbage, I don't have the space. I have an appartment wood shop :D and heavy free standing equipment is not an option.

Suggestions?

I rigged up a gantry set-up so that I could drill the string-through holes on my telecaster - I took the head unit of the drill off the column. That worked pretty well, but there's no 'easy way' - that issue is the reason they sell radial arm drills, or big floor standing units.

Yes, there's a simple way to do this. It involves a car, or a UPS truck, and your walet. What you do it you go by a NEW drill press with a larger swing, and then dub THAT drill press "your" drill press, and call the other old one "someone else's drill press". And that way, you've increased the swing of YOUR drill press.

:D

Hope tha thelped

Chris

rig up a drill press jig using a cordless drill and some steel sheets/tubing...then you get an unlimited swing press.

I was talking a little more practical. For instance I have a block I use for drilling the access hole for a fender style trussrod. Ii is basically a hole drilled in an aluminum block at the proper angle. The cool thing is that when you put the hand drill's bit in the hole it will follow the angle an drill the perfect hole. The principle for a right angle drill guide is the same. And easier to build.

Even if someone has a big DP with large swing (I do, but hardly ever need the full capacity), it's probably a better method to make a drill guide like guitarguy said. You could drill the E holes with your DP, then pop a drill guide in there, with locating pins at the E holes.

I think if there was a sound method of adding swing capacity to a small DP, someone would be selling a kit to do it.

Funny thing is when I was in my early 20's and bought my first DP, I forget to consider the swing capacity, and got a rude awakening when I suddenly needed more than 4" swing. Well , the place I bought it had a " no questions asked" return policy, and I quickly took advantage of it.

I kind of wish I still had it though, So often I have a set-up on my big DP, and then I need to drill something else, and hate like hell to have to tear down the set-up I already have.

rig up a drill press jig using a cordless drill and some steel sheets/tubing...then you get an unlimited swing press.

I was talking a little more practical. For instance I have a block I use for drilling the access hole for a fender style trussrod. Ii is basically a hole drilled in an aluminum block at the proper angle. The cool thing is that when you put the hand drill's bit in the hole it will follow the angle an drill the perfect hole. The principle for a right angle drill guide is the same. And easier to build.

I'm gonna scrap my earlier suggestion and go with that one for sure. I completely forgot about drilling masks like that (and I should've remembered...I paid a good $30 for my one for tube amp boards).