Tiger Head Inlay

It's not often I go nuts over a truss rod cover, I make lots of them, but this one I really love. This picture is way over sized, the actual piece is only 1-1/2" tall. But I wanted you to check out the detail, fit and finish. 22 pieces with no etching, filler or paint. Everything here is shell, stone, and wood. Just thought you guys might like to see it.

tigerheadlarge.jpg

Wow i really like it!

My inlay in the works is Jormangund ( the serpent that circled the earth under the sea and has its tail in it's mouth) It will be twisting around the fret board.

But back on topic. That is nice an clean work there. Is the shell really inlayed or is the ebony just like other peices of the inlay? It would be easy to get good joints like you have when doing it that way. Anyways nice inlay i like it!

That is really cool!

Reminds me of a headstock inlay someone did at the MIMForum a bit ago

That is nice an clean work there. Is the shell really inlayed or is the ebony just like other peices of the inlay? It would be easy to get good joints like you have when doing it that way. Anyways nice inlay i like it!

Yep, it's all inlaid. The backing ebony cover is all one piece.

MIMForum

what is the MIMForum?

what is the MIMForum?

MIMF or the Musical Instrument Makers Forum. Another pretty good site for guitar related info. I use both mimf and PG to learn as much as I can about building guitars. :D

By the way, that truss rod cover looks really cool. Must've been hard to do. :D

what is the MIMForum?

MIMF or the Musical Instrument Makers Forum. Another pretty good site for guitar related info. I use both mimf and PG to learn as much as I can about building guitars. :D

By the way, that truss rod cover looks really cool. Must've been hard to do. :D

Hmmm . . . interesting site. I liked some of the posts in the tooling section. I'll have to join up there soon. Thanks for the info about that.

Yeah, this cover was pretty tough. It took like 1/2 hour just to assemble the pieces while glueing. The epoxy almost hardened on me. The entire thing is about the size of a 50 cent piece, so you can image how small those fangs are. The little one on the lower left was a pain in the neck. It kept wanting to flip sideways on me. Worth the trouble though. It's shipping out to a guy in Hawaii and he is thrilled.

Edited by cSuttle

Only half an hour to make that thing?! I'm impressed. :D ...And after all that work you're going to send it off to someone else? :D

Only half an hour to make that thing?! I'm impressed. :D ...And after all that work you're going to send it off to someone else? :D

I'm sure that half-hour doesn't include design, layout, cutting and fitting.

And cSuttle's a professional (unlike us amateur hacks B) ). Of course he's sending it off!

Excellent work! :D

I'm sure that half-hour doesn't include design, layout, cutting and fitting.

And cSuttle's a professional (unlike us amateur hacks ).

Ah, didn't think about the cutting and other steps, stupid me. :D And yep, I'm definitely and amateur. Hopefully someday I can call myself a professional too, but for now I'm just a wannabe. B)

edit: I just checked out his site, and he is very professional. Wow! :D

Only half an hour to make that thing?! I'm impressed. B) ...And after all that work you're going to send it off to someone else? :D

No, it took a 1/2 hour just to assemble the pieces. That was after it was designed, the pieces cut, and the wood routed. After assembly it had to be leveled and finished. The 1/2 hour was just test fitting and glueing. Sorry for the confusion. I guess your not to impress now :D

Hey what is the smallest cutter you use when you are cutting these things? That truss cover looks great.

On this project the smallest bit I used as 1/32", but I have .024, .015, and .010 bits if I need them. I have to be careful with those really small bits, they break easy and they are not cheap.

Of course he's sending it off!

Excellent work! B)

Before I sold my work, when I was still practicing, I inlaid just about everything. Every guitar I owned, tables, chairs . . . the driveway . . . :D I think I drove me family nuts. Now, I rarely ever make a piece for me. Sad isn't it B) I think the last piece I kept was this one and that was about eight months ago.

eaglemountainpersonal.jpg

Edited by cSuttle

Sorry for the confusion. I guess your not to impress now

No prob. I am still very impressed, that stuff is amazing. I've never seen truss rod covers this fancy before. I think someday I'll have to do some shopping from you. My personal favorite from the site is this wolf. Great work! :D

Sorry for the confusion. I guess your not to impress now

No prob. I am still very impressed, that stuff is amazing. I've never seen truss rod covers this fancy before. I think someday I'll have to do some shopping from you. My personal favorite from the site is this wolf. Great work! :D

Yeah, that's the Wolf Pack from the "Limited Edition" series of tcovers. That was purchased by a guy who is adding it to a Warmoth project he is working on. I inlaid a wolf head on the body too (that's in the fretboard section). About one of these Wolf Pack covers (made with differrent materials) goes up on ebay each month. If you want to be added to "Limited Edition" update email list, let me know. Whenever I put a cover on eBay I alert the group. There is about 70 people on that list right now. I have one guy in the group who has purchased 14 covers. That's a lot of guitars. :D A lot of people don't see the "Limited Edition" link at the top of the tcovers page, but if you click on that link, you can see every "Limited Edition" cover ever made. Everyone is made with different materials so each one it unique and a one of a kind. So far, five of the twenty-five Wolf Pack covers have been made. The different materials really give each one there own personality.