Amp Build Completed

I jsut completed my build of an ax84 P1 Rev 06.02.23.

At first there was no sound. I traced it down to a faulty power switch. Than there was a high pitched squeel when I turned the gain half way up. The problem was one of the OT wires running to close to something else.

Now that it's working properly this thing rocks! Great tone at nice low volume. I'll probably change the tone caps to give more bass as right now I'm running the bass control all the way up.

I'll have pics and maybe a crude sound clip up in a few minutes.

Cool!

Looking forward to the pics and sound clips

I removed R19 (tie to ground just after the gain control) and now the amp has more more available gain and is much louder.

I person I know from another internet forum built a new cab for his valve junior so he sent me his cab and speaker for free.

yes there is no power switch, I got sent a broken switch, so I'll have to go buy another one. Currently you just turn it on by plugging it in :D

P13.jpg

I used silver paint on the chassis and got this cracked old look.

pic 2

I'm running out to dinner now, but when I'm done I'll see if I can get a quick sound clip up.

@ Guitarchump

I got the schematic at ax84.com It's the P1 (thats also where I got my transformers) I orders everything but the transformers from mouser.com.

ax84 has a P1 kit for $215 USD. By sourcing the parts seperatly I paid $138 including shipping USD :D

Edited by Godin SD

Sweet! I got a valve jr. head that I'm currently building a 2 X 10 cab for. I am already looking for a new amp project. This might be it! $140! Where was the chassis from? What was the other board you were talking about?

We need sound clips! :D

The crackled paint looks pretty cool- but thats pretty much all that I can deduce from the photos.

The chassis is an old baking sheet pan that I cut and bent into shape. The other forum is, kludge music (basicly it's the none-official VJ modders forum)

I'm still trying to figure out a way to get some decent sound clips with my crappy setup. I think it's time I invested in a decent interface.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to get some decent sound clips with my crappy setup

I thought about that after I posted it...

I wonder how well its actually possible to convey the real sound of an amp when its being recorded, digitised, compressed, sent 3000 or so miles round the world then played back through tiny computer speakers.

Probably hear more the tone of the amp in my soundcard than of yours :D

It'd give us an idea though I suppose

Cool forum. I just got done building a new cab for the chassis (dont feel like tearing all the tolex of the original) as well as the speaker cab. A guy I work with is a mojotone dealer so I need to order up some tolex and grill cloth, as soon as I decide on the color combo. Then I'll start looking into some mods and possibly one of those ax84's.

Before I got any parts on I cut/bent the chassis to fit in my cab. That took around 45 minutes. When the parts came in I solderd all the components to the board and screwed all the pots,, switches, jacks, and transformers to the chassis. That took around 2 hours. Than I put the board in the chassis and wired everything together. That took around 3 hours (I went really really slow and triple check all the solder joints)

It really wasn't -that- hard. With some electroncis knowledge, the ability to solder very good joints, and tons of reading, you should be able to build one just fine.